• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I Hate This Customer

ams

So there is a restaurant down the street from my shop called Afghan Kebob. They got in a lawsuit and had to change their name. So we've done work with them a few times and every single time they complain about something.

Such as when we put in brand new flood lights to shine up at his sign, he wanted them on a photocell, however he wanted it tied into a switch (interior light switch) so he could control it. What do you know two weeks later, "it's not working, you need to fix it", my response is the switch flipped off? "what switch?" the one it's tied into. "I don't know come down here", so I go down and flip the switch and leave. Things like that.

Now comes the latest part, we installed a reflective sign for him yesterday. He wanted a burgundy background and mustard yellow letters. So I printed on the Oracal 5650RA reflective, put it on lusterboard and install it. Last night he calls and has a hissy fit that it's the wrong yellow he is pissed off. He says it's either too bright or too dark but doesn't match. I had to fully explain that since he wanted reflective, it's impossible to print one color. It will always change depending on the light, reflection, darkness, etc. Even if it were printed 100% mustard yellow, the ink darkens a little on reflective and will change. I told him to pay for it and to go find another sign shop because we won't work with him again.

dale911

President
Let me guess, he always negotiates the price when you give him a quote as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny Best

Maybe you think he is smarter than he looks. Sounds like you always are explaining things to him and need to deal on a step by step program so he understands better. Like someone had to explain to him about the name he had to change through a lawsuit.

We all have crazy customers, it comes with the territory.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't know what's going on with this customer, but you must live in a really bad area. You seem to have more crappy clients than 100 people on this site combined.

It always revolves around someone coming back p!ssed off either about price, quality or both.
  • Are you sure your quotes are adequate ??
  • Are your prices fair ??
  • Is your craftsmanship sub-par ??
  • Do you check on things before they go out the door ??
  • Do you have a Quality Control director at your shop ??

edit: yes, as mentioned, we all have customers like this, but you seem to have wa-a-a-ay more than your share.

Johnny Best

My mother called them PCP. ProblemCausingPeople. I have met sign shop owners and customers that fall into this category.

Billct2

Yea, I would get paid first, then either raise my rates to compensate for the PITA factor or tell him we're done.

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
Get away from this guy and his type! This is how they operate. They will milk you for every penny they can get! I get paid for everything upfront, or it's not gonna happen. Tell him there is a trip charge to come out, that will put a stop to it. It works for me!

TXFB.INS

get money in hand, then the next time he contacts do your normal rate x 2 and from that point on all projects are prepaid in FULL and any "service call" is your shop rate x 2

for these customers, we have a waiver they sign that states once said product is received they are responsible for all issues and we will only address said issues for a fee

blondy777

Make sure to always show him upfront the colors through the light. We have had customers like this before and this has helped us with them.

visual800

sounds like an Indian. I quit dealing with them, life is better when you say NO! Always fussing always negotiating, always a PITA!

mfatty500

Cut to the chase with the "them, shit" Indians & Greeks are the worst to work with/for, they were like that in the Concrete business when I did that for 25 years, just bump the price up 50% percent they counter with their price (and hope they don't counter with a cheaper price, because they have alredy kick every tire in the lot), and you say, I can do that IF you want to work for them

visual800

ahhh the Greeks! Yeah them too! If you call my phone and have the slightest accent you can bet I wont be helping you. I get sick of that crap worst than dealing with race car owners back in the early 90s and their lines of crap

Johnny Best

Indians and Greeks or anyone with an accent, you two would be lousy arms dealers.
The original post said Afghan Kebob so I assumed they were from Afghanistan, but Indians and Greeks it is.
Thanks for the insight, won't do business with them or race car drivers from the 90s.

Always when you make a suggestion for people from middle east, you need to be clear about the cost how the work will become, always make it in writing, if they complain later you just show the paper and say that you have already approved of this SO you need to pay, if you want us to redo you need to pay again.

Arabics are troublemakers... always something.

visual800

Indians and Greeks or anyone with an accent, you two would be lousy arms dealers.
The original post said Afghan Kebob so I assumed they were from Afghanistan, but Indians and Greeks it is.
Thanks for the insight, won't do business with them or race car drivers from the 90s.

well you are welcome for the advice! Fortunately im not an arms dealer I am small business and a large part of that is "avoiding" PITA customers. It takes a few years before you have had enuough but once you say "NO" or "not interested"...it just feels so right

Johnny Best

You guys are something, these people in that region have been doing trade since Marco Polo, they like to barter, or some call it haggle, it's their custom.
Better get use to it, the snowflakes want them all to come over and party with us. Ahhh...I can smell the curry heating up now.
Also Afgans and Indians are not Arabic, they might be of Muslim religion or Hindu.

Johnny Best

We have afghans on a buncha our sofas. Never heard of any problems with them. Guess I'll hafta keep a better eye on them.

:omg2:
vetted.jpg