• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I have hit a new all time low in my career

Locals Find!

Last night, I took a job for a good clients wife. I was made to design a menu for their pizza trailer using papyrus. I deleted this font from all my machines for a reason. Last night I had to download it. Ughhhh!

I tried to convince her of another font, any other font for that matter. I showed here 5 different font sites with better fonts. Even offered to purchase anyone she liked at no extra cost to just avoid having to use papyrus. Nothing worked.

I have a new policy now, if I am ever again asked to design a menu using papyrus and actually take the job my significant other is to take out my softball bat and beat me unconscious repeatedly, till I turn the job away or am dead. As the results are the same in actually doing the job or getting beat to death. The last small part of me holding out hope to become a better designer died last night when I clicked save on that monstrosity.

JBusch260

Papyrus is a terrible font, as well as Comic Sans. What makes them even worse, is when they are the point of focus on your design. Despite how beautiful or amazing you can make the whole background to be, eyes will be drawn to gain information from an awful typeface.

How's the rest of the trailer turning out?

rjssigns

I do exactly what the client wants and collect a check. Papyrus three feet tall with an outer glow and drop shadow? We can do that. Trying to be a font cop doesn't put food in my mouth or a roof over my head.

Locals Find!

Papyrus is a terrible font, as well as Comic Sans. What makes them even worse, is when they are the point of focus on your design. Despite how beautiful or amazing you can make the whole background to be, eyes will be drawn to gain information from an awful typeface.

How's the rest of the trailer turning out?

The rest of the trailer was easy and nice. We wrapped it all in red, then Added the logos that I drew up but, didn't get to do the actual design of. (She went to fiver.com) with my ideas and had them do it. So, while they came out ok. They weren't nearly as good as what I had dreamed up.

The whole design has been kept very minimal which is a plus. The menu, will be the most minimalistic portion of the whole thing. As it will be simply white coroplast with black, red, and green lettering. No background w/ horrible papyrus font. It will do the job but, it sure isn't going to warrant a second glance from an attractiveness standpoint.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
I do exactly what the client wants and collect a check. Papyrus three feet tall with an outer glow and drop shadow? We can do that. Trying to be a font cop doesn't put food in my mouth or a roof over my head.

+1 (but that's why we switched to trade only, so someone else can deal with the bad design, we just print what we're told to print)

JBusch260

The rest of the trailer was easy and nice. We wrapped it all in red, then Added the logos that I drew up but, didn't get to do the actual design of. (She went to fiver.com) with my ideas and had them do it. So, while they came out ok. They weren't nearly as good as what I had dreamed up.

The whole design has been kept very minimal which is a plus. The menu, will be the most minimalistic portion of the whole thing. As it will be simply white coroplast with black, red, and green lettering. No background w/ horrible papyrus font. It will do the job but, it sure isn't going to warrant a second glance from an attractiveness standpoint.

Got it, bummer.. Well, worse comes to worst, you still get to collect a paycheck and move on.

rjssigns

+1 (but that's why we switched to trade only, so someone else can deal with the bad design, we just print what we're told to print)

Ding ding. We are doing more of this type of work. You want the best pricing? Then bring us ready to rock artwork. Preflight consists of seeing if the RIP will load the file.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I don't design with Papyrus but I certainly wouldn't refuse to use it. The font has two problems as far as I'm concerned ... 1) It has an irregular edge which may cause slowdowns or failures if you're using it for cut vinyl, and 2) It is extremely overused. Neither of which makes it a bad design. The glyphs themselves and copy setup using the font have a very attractive look and flow in my opinion and work very well in achieving a number of potential design goals ... none of which come to mind when doing coroplast signs for a menu in a food trailer.

There are any number of fonts I once used that I no longer use due to overuse. Brush Script and Hobo come to mind right away along with Serpentine and Trajan.

nikdoobs

Hahah... Motha F#*king Papyrus! These blue people seem to like it...

Avatar_Wallpaper_by_Nightwulff.jpg

nikdoobs

There are any number of fonts I once used that I no longer use due to overuse. Brush Script and Hobo come to mind right away along with Serpentine and Trajan.

I'm with you on Brush Script, Hobo and Serpentine, but Trajan? I still use the hell out of Trajan. It's almost like Helvetica to me. Even though they are overused they will always be two of the best typefaces ever made.

Marlene

you have a career? thought you were out of signs and into some newest big thing that you were going to sell to all of us

Locals Find!

No worries, Addie - I think you hit the low during "The Great Ladder Debacle of 2012"

:thumb:

That I can claim ignorance on. Purposely going out of my way to make a design horrible knowing what I now know. Is why it is a low point. I have learned a lot. I cringe now when I look at some of my past work and have even lately refused to re-print some of it. Knowing how bad it actually is now.

Locals Find!

you have a career? thought you were out of signs and into some newest big thing that you were going to sell to all of us

The project in question was started months ago. When the trailer was ordered. Custom kitchen trailers with built in wood fired ovens take a while to build. So, yes I am out of the sign business but, not going to leave clients who have already paid a deposit out in the cold. I will be finishing all projects that are still open.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The project in question was started months ago. When the trailer was ordered. Custom kitchen trailers with built in wood fired ovens take a while to build. So, yes I am out of the sign business but, not going to leave clients who have already paid a deposit out in the cold. I will be finishing all projects that are still open.

Low point ?? That would indicate you had a high somewhere along your journey or at least knee-high to a grasshopper............ 'fraid not. You just wallow in this crap and never know when to shut up.

I figured you'd start back-pedaling somewhere along the line.

Nothing against Addie, but I can find many uses for the fonts most of you condemn and believe it or not.... I have no customers complaining about it. Used in the right circumstances under the right conditions, any designer can make just about anything work these days. With an armory of literally 10's of thousands of fonts from which to choose..... y'all wanna boot out 5 or 10 you don't like ?? C'mon, it's like everything else around here. Someone says something negative....... or positive about anything....... and the others jump on the bandwagon to feel good about themselves. Monkey see/monkey do. That's what this whole thread was about to begin with. Addie knows he'd hit some nerves with this subject, so he tested the waters. He has no career as he admitted and yet he says he's hit his all time low. How can this be possible ??

Happy New Year, Addie. Good to see ya haven't changed with any of your resolutions.... or new ambitions. You're still on track. :rock-n-roll: