• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I inherited a sign shop that I want to keep.

savannah08

In short, my fiancé had worked designing and making signs since he was a teenager. It was really his first love. He worked 2 jobs for year trying to get the money together so he could have his very own shop. He finally did it but was only open a week before he unexpectedly passed away in September 2016.

I locked the doors on the sign shop until the beginning of November because I just wasn't in a place to go up there. Well, I pulled myself together and decided that I wanted to do this for him and for me. I wasn't going to let the sign shop go that easily. I do enjoy what little bit I know and he had really hoped that one day our boys would have an interest in it.

So, fast forward to almost February, I have somehow kept the sign shop open. I have made a lot of mistakes and wasted a lot of vinyl but I have made it. haha.

In truth, the shop has saved me from sitting at home and feeling down. It has given me something to do and look forward to so I am determined to keep it open. No amount of anything will talk me out of it, trust me, people have tried. haha

So here is where I need advice:

question number one- Where do ya'll find help? I posted an ad on craigslist and got zero hits.

question number two- Are vinyl signs going out? Another sign shop in town is slowly trying to get out of doing them because they think they are on there way out. They are trying to do more design for websites.

question number three- What are some resources for learning more about application? I do need help in that area. I don't need as much help in the design area but did buy the veraworks dvd and flexisign dvd to learn more. I don't feel comfortable asking the sign shop that I mentioned above for any help. We do have another shop in town that I would love to learn more from as they're the best. I offered to come work without pay and he wasn't interested at all.

question number four- how do you advertise for your shop?

****Any other advice is welcomed and appreciated. ****

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sorry for your loss.

You'll get lotsa answers in a matter of minutes, but no, signs are not on their way out, unless you're no good at it. As for learning, ask questions and post pictures of your problem areas and you'll get so much information, it will astound you.

modernimagesigns

Sorry for your loss, but I applaud you in wanting to continue!
As far as finding help and advertising, one of the least expensive ways to do both is through Facebook. Set up a page and ask all your friends on your personal page to like your new sign shop page. Post lots of pics of your work. Those friends on your list may have kids, relatives, or neighbors, that might be needing your services or may be looking for a job.
The question of are vinyl signs on the way out-NO! Cut vinyl will always have a place. You need to find your niche market to push to. Start with your interest. Mine was race cars. By finding that niche, you will build your brand, and will enjoy your work because you have an interest in that area. It will expand.
Application and other resources, Youtube and this forum.
Good luck, but you can do it!

savannah08

Thanks ya'll. I didn't figure it was on it's way out but wanted to double check. The more I think of some of the things that they have told me, I kind of think they want me to shut it down, but not a chance. I am one determined lady. haha.

Marlene

so sorry about your loss!

youtube has a ton of how to do just about anything in the sign world. I would watch serveral from different sources to get a feel for different methods. as far as finding help, it might be better to check with your local employment office. also see if you can post at a local trade school.

d fleming

Sorry for your loss
Does your local school system have a vocational ed program? If so you may be able to get an intern part time from them. Young people who are already interested in the trade and looking to learn can be a valuable source of help.

savannah08

thanks, We do have a vo-tech but I was hoping to find someone with a little experience at least with the application part. I feel like with me training someone it will be like "the blind leading the blind" haha

Billct2

question number one- Where do ya'll find help? I posted an ad on craigslist and got zero hits.
This is a problem for all sign shops, it's not a common skill set. I would continue advertising and if you have sign supply salespeople/drivers coming to your shop let them know you're looking.

question number two- Are vinyl signs going out? Another sign shop in town is slowly trying to get out of doing them because they think they are on there way out. They are trying to do more design for websites.
Vinyl signs are defininately here for a long time. We still do tons of cut vinyl in addition to vinyl prints.

question number three- What are some resources for learning more about application? I do need help in that area. I don't need as much help in the design area but did buy the veraworks dvd and flexisign dvd to learn more. I don't feel comfortable asking the sign shop that I mentioned above for any help. We do have another shop in town that I would love to learn more from as they're the best. I offered to come work without pay and he wasn't interested at all.
Youtube and seminars
question number four- how do you advertise for your shop?
I don't anymore, but in the beginning the two that worked were networking through the chamber of commerce and cold calling. Especially cold calling for sign redos, look for businesses whose signs are looking shabby and offer a free quote for replacement.

d fleming

You might be surprised at what a kid from vo tech knows already. Then again, maybe not. You tube and the help topics in the software you are using are great learning tools. Your software provider most likely has tutodials you can go through as well on their site.

TammieH

You posted in Craig's List..Under what Category? Usually most sign positions are under Art and Design, then also General Help
The amount of available qualified people with a sign background will depend on the size of your community and how well the industry is doing at the time.
You can talk to the local State Unemployment Office as well. Also if there are sign supply shops in your area, let them know you re looking for help. They
will sometimes have names of qualified individuals looking for employment.

My heart goes out to you and I wish you luck...and...hang in there. Warm hugs coming from Washington State!

rossmosh

Have you ever thought about changing business plans? You can continue being a sign shop but outsource a majority of your work to either for the trade suppliers or local shops. This will allow you to focus on selling and customer service. Slowly but surely, you'll learn about the industry and build up a business. Once you get a feel for things, then you can start buying equipment and moving work in house.

Just a thought.

savannah08

Thanks rossmosh I actually have been outsourcing some and it has definitely made my life a lot easier. I do try to do the things that aren't rush jobs for practice. I outsource with signs365.

Can anyone recommend any other businesses like signs 365? They are the only one that I know of.

ikarasu

What kind of tutorials do you need? Applying on flat metal signs, applying cut letters, vinyl wrapping? Sounds simple, but youtube is probably your best bet. Are you applying by hand, or roller/roller table, etc? All depends on what hardware you have.

savannah08

mostly applying cut letters and mostly on flat metal. I am doing it by hand right now. I will definitely check youtube out.

Kottwitz-Graphics

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Where in Mississippi are you? I lived there for many years. You may need to find a shop to partner with and collaborate...

As far as finding good help, it's difficult. You need to find some one that fits, without knowing too little, and you have to train, and they may become your competition, or too much, and they take advantage of you...

Advertising, word of mouth works pretty well for me....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You need to step gingerly, as hiring someone who might be the right fit for the job, could easily take advantage of you, in no time at all. With your not knowing too much about much of anything, they could be helping you price things, but price you out of business.

You should probably talk to someone about putting a business plan together, even a small one to keep you focused. Maybe take a few days and visit a few shops well out of your area, to see how they set up for production and inventory and selling things. If you call someone 75 miles away and tell them the same story you told us, I'm sure they'll help ya.

Msrae

Rae
Welcome to signs 101 Savannah08. I am sorry for your loss. Good job sticking with it. Don't give up. It will start to come to you. The more youtube you watch and the more you do the jobs, the more you will become comfortable with the processes and find you own processes that work for you. Look for some seminars or training being offered from your suppliers. I know our local supplier has a lot of small training classes on all aspects of the sign industry.

Keep tying, it just takes time. I swear I still learn a new little trick every time I do an application, and I have been doing it over 6 years now. Just hang in there and don't let the naysayers tell you you can't do it. As others have mentioned, this forum is a great group of people and if you have specific questions, just post them up and I am sure there are people on here that can guide you with the best technique and good answers.

savannah08

Kottwitz-Graphics , I am located in Columbia. It is about an hour from Hattiesburg.

Gino that has been a worry of mine. I will definitely put a business plan together. I have got some decals to do this week for 2 race cars and then I am actually moving the shop. Right now, we are in the "hot" spot of town and it is definitely costing to be there. My dad has some lots on another highway, it isn't as busy and a more rural, but he has offered to build me a building so I wouldn't have to pay rent. I am super grateful and am going to take him up on it. I will use his office in the meantime while the new building is under construction. I am hoping in that time, I can get some of these important things in order and just take a breather. It has been a lot of changes in a short amount of time.