• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I keep running out of metallic ink

Ashkeyana

We have a Roland XC-540MT printer. For the most part it is awesome, and I love the ability to print in white and metallic. However, we don't have to do that very often, so we keep running out of metallic and white ink (through the automatic cleanings) before we get a chance to use it. I'm just wondering if there's any way stop this from happening. We bought the printer used, and the former owners stuck a cleaning cartridge in there, but our tech said that was bad for the head...any ideas?

Thanks!!

yukon

How can cleaning solution be BAD for the heads?!

We just ordered a new Roland VSi and can't wait for it to arrive :) We are going to be setting it up as CMYKLmLcLk which will leave 1 slot available. Our tech recommends using a cleaning cartridge in the last slot too. He said that if I leave metallic loaded, it will often want a new cartridge because the well holds the contents of 1 full cartridge. The metallic ink is much more expensive than colors. I like the idea of using a cleaning cartridge instead and can't see how that would damage a head. If anything It would keep the heads clear and in new condition.

Yukon

Ashkeyana

Thanx all...going to have to try just running with the cleaning cartridge...can't afford to keep replacing the metallic for no reason..I'll update with my results :Big Laugh

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
How often are you having to replace them?

We run a VS-540 with WH and MT inks which rarely get used, but the tanks still last over 6 months each doing only cleaning cycles.
I wouldn't call that too often (for us) and replacement cost is absorbed by ongoing jobs.

NateF

How often are you having to replace them?

We run a VS-540 with WH and MT inks which rarely get used, but the tanks still last over 6 months each doing only cleaning cycles.
I wouldn't call that too often (for us) and replacement cost is absorbed by ongoing jobs.

+1 on the above question - I'm looking at a VS-540i and considering white ink even though I don't think I would use it much. Once every six months I can handle. If it's more than that, I might shy away from adding the option.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We were told long ago, if you are not using white at least once or twice a week, having the white option is not for you. I'm sure it's gotten better, but not to the point of having to need to use it once a month or more.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
+1 on the above question - I'm looking at a VS-540i and considering white ink even though I don't think I would use it much. Once every six months I can handle. If it's more than that, I might shy away from adding the option.

To be honest, it's probably even longer than that. In 2.5 years we are only onto our 2nd or 3rd replacements for WH and MT.

InkjetAuction

Using MT profiles on non-MT jobs

I wonder if you may be using MT profiles on non-MT jobs.

In VersaWorks there are MT specific profiles with [MT] in the title. For example Generic Vinyl 2 [MT]
Only use [MT] MARKED profiles for MT jobs. Otherwise you will purge MT each time you print... even if you don't use MT in that job.

~E

Malkin

How can cleaning solution be BAD for the heads?!

We just ordered a new Roland VSi and can't wait for it to arrive :) We are going to be setting it up as CMYKLmLcLk which will leave 1 slot available. Our tech recommends using a cleaning cartridge in the last slot too. He said that if I leave metallic loaded, it will often want a new cartridge because the well holds the contents of 1 full cartridge. The metallic ink is much more expensive than colors. I like the idea of using a cleaning cartridge instead and can't see how that would damage a head. If anything It would keep the heads clear and in new condition.

Yukon

I was looking at a VS at a small show (have vp540 now) and the regional Roland sales rep was saying that both the current VS and the upcoming VSi recirculate the white and metallic ink during cleanings, so this would no longer be an issue.

I think that we would also be most interested in CMYKLmLcLkWh.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
I was looking at a VS at a small show (have vp540 now) and the regional Roland sales rep was saying that both the current VS and the upcoming VSi recirculate the white and metallic ink during cleanings, so this would no longer be an issue.

I think that we would also be most interested in CMYKLmLcLkWh.

The old VS series circulated the inks as well. The new "i" revision comes with new ink formulas which the metallic has a more "metallic/silver" look and the white is more opaque.
Apparently the old series should be offered an upgrade early in the new year to the new ink set, which is good news for original VS owners.

hyperdrive

Using white/mt profiles when not printing those colors is a killer!! We had an issue with our xr using a ton of white/mt. Inks should last a long time,we use ours daily as we print primarily on clear vinyl. Our vs uses an ink set up every 5-6 months, but we used it very seldom.

Ashkeyana

I know we're not using mt profiles when not printing mt ink...but we're going thru a cartridge about every other week...