• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I need a linguist

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I'm looking for the correct word in the following situation ...

You're out in a thunderstorm and you see a bolt of lightning and hear a clap of thunder. If you were to put what you just witnessed into words, you might say that it was thundering, but you wouldn't say it was lightninging. What word would you use to describe it?

Mike Paul

Super Active Member

You're out in a thunderstorm and you see a bolt of lightning and hear a clap of thunder. If you were to put what you just witnessed into words, you might say that it was thundering, but you wouldn't say it was lightninging. What word would you use to describe it?

Electrical storm

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
...A smattering of electrons burst into luminescence, producing an audible report that echoed throughout the valley....

(I had a wonderful composition teacher, back in the day)

James Burke

On a further note, lightning is a noun that we tend to use as a verb sometimes...which, as you mentioned, results in nonsense.

So then, what I'd really like to know is "why do we call them thunderstorms, when thunder is only the byproduct"?

Like that country song on the radio from a few years ago..."Thunder gets the credit, but it's the lightning that does the work"....

JB

ddarlak

Go Bills!
We were going to go outside, but it started to thunder and lightning.

or if there were multiple thunders and multiple lightnings:

Yesterday we stayed in because it was thundering and lightning.

Lightning is both singular and plural, therefore it would not be incorrect to say either

We stayed in because of all the thundering and lightnings.

or

We stayed in because of all the thundering and lightning.

SignosaurusRex

I failed English class in school quite miserably, but I'll play. Why would one use "thundering" instead of just plain "thunder"? Lightning takes place before thunder. Thunder is the sound of the lightning, (light) which travels faster than sound, therefore.... The current conditions are "lightning and thunder", not thunder(ing) and lightning(ing).

SignosaurusRex

Did you hear all that thunder last night? Yes, I saw all the lightning too. That was quite a lightning and thunder storm we had.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Couldn't find an answer from a linguist - how about this from a humorist:

“The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.”

Mark Twain

ddarlak

Go Bills!
BUT.... i always order the eggs first....

yea, i'll have some scrambled eggs, rye toast,... hash browns....and bacon

James Burke

BUT.... i always order the eggs first....

yea, i'll have some scrambled eggs, rye toast,... hash browns....and bacon

Sorry to hear that...and, by the way it's always double bacon...I swap the sausage for more bacon.

JB

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.

You would not say that it was 'thundering' unless you were referring to something other than thunder. 'Thunder' is the name of the thing. 'Thundering' is what non-thunder things might do.

You'd say "There [is/was] thunder and lightning" not 'It [is/was] thundering". I should think that in this case the use if 'it is' rather than 'there is' would be informality to the point of almost being slang. In the same vein as 'I'm all..." and it's evil twin "I'm like..."