• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I need a little moral support........

skyhigh

OK, its been at least 7 years since I lost my faithful friend of 14 years. I couldn't bring myself to replace the BEST dog in the world.

Well, the wife and I ran across some folks that had a littler of Golden Retrievers pups ready to go. I told my wife we were NOT NOT NOT going to come home with a dog......lets just go look, and give ourselves a day to think about it, before making a rash decision.

I don't know what happened to that master plan, but we ended up leaving with a real cutie. I just don't know if I'm ready to do this again. When I got up this morning, I found her with my half chewed sneaker, and she was asleep with her head inside the shoe. From there, she proceeded to chew on a dining room chair.

I just don't know if I'm up to the challenge.

ps. First thing first......what tips do you have for "House Breaking" these little monsters?

Attachments

• 1024121321.jpg
    1024121321.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 1025120735.jpg
    1025120735.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 60

TheSnowman

All I can tell you is...my kids destroy everything in my house and it drives me nuts and my wife is ok with it. If I had a dog that destroyed everything in the house I'd be ok with it and she wouldn't...needless to say, I have two kids and no dog.

I envy you. That's a cutie.

jayhawksigns

Firm believer in crate training. Pulled our hair out with our second dog when trying to house break him (our only male, maybe it means something) and ever since its been easy as pie using a crate.

It also saves your sneakers, but with a picture like that it would be hard to get made at her.

skyhigh

I found a better picture of her face. This was the ride home.
Only 8 weeks old = 11 lbs.......ohhhh what have I done?

Attachments

• 1024121014.jpg
    1024121014.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 59

gabagoo

You need a dog in your life! I am a firm believer that having pets like dogs and cats keeps your blood pressure a little lower...except when they eat the mouldings off the walls and puke on the carpet instead of the tile.

Enjoy

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
From those photos it looks like you are past the point of no return.
Nice looking pup - good luck with her.

wayne k
guam usa

jayhawksigns

Really cute, our eldest dog/kid is part golden retriever, I see a lot of her in that face. How old is she?

You need a dog in your life! I am a firm believer that having pets like dogs and cats keeps your blood pressure a little lower...except when they eat the mouldings off the walls and puke on the carpet instead of the tile.

Enjoy

Why settle for just one when you can have five? Doesn't help when you are the person who is called when someone needs to relocate a dog either.

Darn edit button.

Marlene

the thing with pets is they are with us for such a short time and when they are gone, it takes a lot out of us. every time I have lost a furry pal, I swear I can't go thru that again, but then there's a little face I just can't resist and off I go again. all I can say is enjoy the time you have with them as there is nothing else like the bond between people and their pets. as far as the chewing, it sounds like you had the best dog ever so you must know how to make that happen again. congrats on your new friend!

d fleming

Crate. I have 5 dobermans that all go put themselves in their box when told it is bedtime. Only way to fly. Cute pup. That's how they getcha, before you know it you'll have a dog on your hands.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Great lookin' pup. You gotta keep her/him.

One suggestion, don't let your shoes lay all over the house. Teach by example.... put your things away and maybe the pup won't pick up on your bad habits.

When I was younger, I had lotsa dogs. Only one was out of control. The rest all obeyed and were great pets and friends. Over the years, I developed a kindling for cats, since they don't need anything near the attention and as I get older, that's a good thing.

thinksigns

SnowFlake
I got a 9 week old Rhodesian Ridgeback a little over a year ago. Tried house breaking her at first without a crate - disaster. Got a crate and she was house broken in less than a week.

She was still a terror around the house, chewing things and just being rambunctious. Luckily there is a fantastic off leash dog park just down the road. I started taking her there a few days a week. Chasing and wrestling the other dogs and swimming in the lakes releases all her energy that before went into destroying things. If you have a off leash dog park in your area, I would recommend that. It also helps socialize her to other people and dogs.

Suz

Oh, soooooo cute!!! I would have taken that one home too, you did good! Just embrace a little disaster now and then. Enjoy your new baby! It's all worth it. LOL!

Pat Whatley

Spraying Bitter Apple on everything I owned worked great for my first dog. Imade sure she had plenty of "acceptable" chew stuff.

The second dog, a black lab, chewed up the bottle of Bitter Apple so I switched to hot sauce. She loved it. Chewed up everything I own. Chewed her way through a Kong indestructable chew toy in three days. House trained her in a week.

The crate, or heck, just a box, worked great for house breaking. Dogs don't poop where they sleep.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Thats what my wife said about me. (cute in a homely kinda way).

One big plus I just remembered......my mother-in-law hates dogs. :cool1:
:Oops:

Well, there ya go...... how'd you train her ?? Maybe it will work from one old dog to another............. :rolleyes:

Suz

(DOG) Mother in law Pest Control, Haha! That's great! Oh, and it's wife approved, even better!

Baz

Congrats on the dog! Really cute pup and a really nice breed also! Get her some chewing toys ... lots of them.:thumb:

jayhawksigns

Our german shepherd, bless her heart, hates my mother-in-law. Really should of tried harder in working that out of her :wink:

You have a name yet??