• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I need some routing done.

Hello all,

I need 24 sheets of 12"x24" .026 aluminum routed into simple shapes. there is 8 different shapes 3 sheets per shape Please PM me with your contact and a quote if you are interested. I will supply the aluminum. I hope to develop a working relationship with someone who has routing capabilities as this will most likely become ongoing. Thanks in advance!

About the thickness of a credit card
Depending on the items/size/complexity - it might be a bit more tricky than you think - read that as "expensive."

What are the experiences of others on the forum? I use to do channel letter backs and raceways a few years ago. The routing required I dig into the waste board or it left a bad edge. The router bit heat would "melt" the bottom edge. That was .040. I know you cannot laser cut Al. Water jet? How about Zund machines? Die Cutting?

Is there a reason you are using aluminum and not another material (i.e. polystyrene)?

and - if the items get small and ship-able - why bother supplying material?

Sorry if these are too many questions. I just want to learn a bit.

CanuckSigns

Yeah buddy, sent it out to get quoted at 3 different places and only one got back to me, looks like it might be time to buy my own router.

Most CNC shops are very busy, depending on how your RFQ was worded, it may have come across as tire kicking, any shop that has lots of work to do won't bother responding to tire kickers. Your best bet may be to look for shops within driving distance and go pay them a visit, it makes you seem more credible if you take the time to go visit them.

check out thomasnet http://www.thomasnet.com/upstate-new-york/cutting-services-waterjet-21533906-1.html

Most CNC shops are very busy, depending on how your RFQ was worded, it may have come across as tire kicking, any shop that has lots of work to do won't bother responding to tire kickers. Your best bet may be to look for shops within driving distance and go pay them a visit, it makes you seem more credible if you take the time to go visit them.

check out thomasnet http://www.thomasnet.com/upstate-new-york/cutting-services-waterjet-21533906-1.html

You suggest water-cutting for this kind of project?

Depending on the items/size/complexity - it might be a bit more tricky than you think - read that as "expensive."

What are the experiences of others on the forum? I use to do channel letter backs and raceways a few years ago. The routing required I dig into the waste board or it left a bad edge. The router bit heat would "melt" the bottom edge. That was .040. I know you cannot laser cut Al. Water jet? How about Zund machines? Die Cutting?

Is there a reason you are using aluminum and not another material (i.e. polystyrene)?

and - if the items get small and ship-able - why bother supplying material?

Sorry if these are too many questions. I just want to learn a bit.

The aluminum has a specialty coating on it, although you would not know it by looking at it.

I know I need to just get my own, dammit :smile:! Your avatar is hilarious BTW! :Big Laugh

geb

Broadalbin Manufacturing may be able to help, their # is 518-883-5313, although no website to check them out. They have done some nice custom stainless work for me. Maybe they could be of help, or take a ride over, probably 30 minutes from you. They are off Route 29 near Broadalbin fire house.

George

CES020

I know you cannot laser cut Al.

Sure you can, all day long. Find someone with a laser, like a sheet metal shop (not an engraving shop) and they'll have the right laser for the job. Aluminum cuts on a laser very nicely, especially something that thin. It'll cut like butter.

We subbed out a 1/8" thick aluminum job to a sheet metal shop 3 weeks ago. Cut with a laser.

Sure you can, all day long. Find someone with a laser, like a sheet metal shop (not an engraving shop) and they'll have the right laser for the job. Aluminum cuts on a laser very nicely, especially something that thin. It'll cut like butter.

We subbed out a 1/8" thick aluminum job to a sheet metal shop 3 weeks ago. Cut with a laser.

Thanks for the reply. These must be more powerful lasers than the ones that cannot cut Al.