• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I want to cut my own designs

tikis-in-space

My question as a complete newbie is - HOW?

I've been reading threads on here and going through search but I'm not sure on the terminology or keywords to look up so I really apologize if this question has been asked a thousand times.

I have flexi8 only because it came with my cutter. I see all through it where to print fonts and more but cannot find how to configure and cut my own designs..

I'm willing to look, read and learn. I just need to be pointed in the right direction.

What program do I need in order to cut out one of my own designs? Like if I were to draw something, scan it into my computer and get it ready to cut - what all does that entail or does anyone have a link explaining the process?

What key words or phrases should I familiarize myself with in order to find information on things like this??

I just want to make simple cut out stickers that I created and I just don't know where to start. Can you recommend specific programs?

Thank you so much.

TheSnowman

You have the program. I will tell ya before others start freakin' on ya, do more searching it's all here.

Rhino

Um, I think a starting point would be to learn the difference between raster and vector images. Hint: your cutter will not cut raster images.

When you scan a drawing, it's a raster image. You will have to convert the image to a vector image and seperate the colors for your cutter to cut one at a time.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
My question as a complete newbie is - HOW?

I've been reading threads on here and going through search but I'm not sure on the terminology or keywords to look up so I really apologize if this question has been asked a thousand times.

I have flexi8 only because it came with my cutter. I see all through it where to print fonts and more but cannot find how to configure and cut my own designs..

I'm willing to look, read and learn. I just need to be pointed in the right direction.

What program do I need in order to cut out one of my own designs? Like if I were to draw something, scan it into my computer and get it ready to cut - what all does that entail or does anyone have a link explaining the process?

What key words or phrases should I familiarize myself with in order to find information on things like this??

I just want to make simple cut out stickers that I created and I just don't know where to start. Can you recommend specific programs?

Thank you so much.

Which version or Flexi 8.... I am thinking it's Flexi Starter.....

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The important keyword is vectors. Any robotic machine, such as a vinyl cutting plotter, needs them to move from where it is at to the next place on the "path" until it completes all the programmed moves that the path represents.

If you are attempting to use the Flexi that came free with your plotter, the chances are that it only allows you to enter text and import vector graphics created elsewhere. Upgraded versions of FlexiSign provide more tools, power and capability. But what you need is a vector drawing and editing program and then the willingness to learn to use it effectively.

You can upgrade your FlexiSign or you can purchase Adobe Illustrator or CorelDRAW. Each of these is a solution to what you seek to do that has a large user base and is good at what it does.

S

scarface

To cut a design out, you need a vector image which comes in eps or ai format usually. You can then import it into flexi, size it up and cut it on the plotter. In reality i can't explain exactly how to do it, i just know how to do it so well i just do it lol

You can convert a scanned drawing to a vector for cutting in corel draw or adobe illustrator which are the most common programs.

Pat Whatley

What program do I need in order to cut out one of my own designs?
FlexiSign can do it

Like if I were to draw something, scan it into my computer and get it ready to cut - what all does that entail or does anyone have a link explaining the process? You'll need to VECTORIZE the artwork. You can do that in Flexi through the AUTOTRACE command with limited results. Hand tracing the artwork with the drawing tools in the program will give MUCH cleaner results. Once you've got it vectorized then you can cut it. Do a search here for it...it's been covered a lot. If all else fails send it to the vector doctor.

What key words or phrases should I familiarize myself with in order to find information on things like this?? RASTER VECTOR VECTORIZE TRACE PLOT

I just want to make simple cut out stickers that I created and I just don't know where to start. Can you recommend specific programs? FlexiSign since you've already got it.

Thank you so much.

Hope that gets you pointed in the right direction. You might also want to try the Scanvec Amiable knowledge center... http://www.saintl.biz/Knowledge_base42.asp

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure where on this site, but perhaps someone could point you in the correct direction with the dictionary or commonly used words and phrases from this industry to help you with these areas.

Until recently, I didn't see the need to post these things, but I was recently involved with a program where the others were so helpful to this naive participant, that I have a new found ability to see where those that are honestly searching need a little extra help.

:thankyou:

TheSnowman

Also, not sure what "Open Source" program is out there, but it will help you convert your vectors into a file format that you can import into Flexi...I assume. I have it at work, but I can't think for the life of me what it's called right now.

tikis-in-space

Thank you!! See, those keywords and link to the encyclopedia y'all gave me up there are just what I needed. It is Flexistarter 8.5v2 that I have. And no, I didn't download a "cracked version" of it from anywhere. That must be a common problem, huh? Can't imagine any other reason one would ask that.

I'm perfectly willing to buy any program that I need to be able to do what I want to do. Fred Weiss said I could maybe upgrade my Flexisign? I'll look into that. I'll also check out Adobe Illustrator and Corel Draw.

Thanks for not jumping on me too badly. I'm really not opposed to doing searches and now that I know some key phrases, it will make it much easier.