• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

i5-760 OR AMD 955 X4

rcook99

I am in the process of deciding what parts to put into my new computer build and would like some feedback on the chips listed above.

1) Which will work better with PS and X3?

2) Overall which do you feel is the better chip price aside?

3) Pair your CPU choice with a MOBO to match.

I have done many searches and it seems that it all depends on wether or not you are gaming. Most of the opinions are based on gaming and I would appreciate feedback based on these CPU's being used in the same manner I would be using them...for layouts and designs. Once I decide on the CPU I will post all the specs for everyone to pick apart.

choucove

These processors really are quite similar in performance, and I have had great luck using both in multiple computers.

The strenghts of the i5-760 processor is that it can automatically overclock to about the same base clock speed of the Phenom II X4 955, but that's only with one thread so it honestly doesn't happen much when you're working with most of today's software. It also has a lower power usage so will run a little cooler than the AMD processor. Really the area where Intel processors are the best bargain is if you plan to do some major overclocking to get a higher clock speed out of them, but it doesn't sound like you want to do that.

The strength of the AMD Phenom II X4 955 on the other hand is that it has an obviously higher base clock speed. It does have a slightly higher power draw but with an aftermarket CPU cooler you can get very cool running temperatures. I've used the Cooler Master 212+ on both of these processors and it has worked wonders to keep things cool on both systems. The AMD processor seems like a real workhorse and never bogs down even when I'm exporting 1080p video conversions from Adobe Premiere CS4 and that's why I chose it for my home computer back when it was the AMD flagship processor.

You shouldn't have any problems with them working with your software, either way they are going to be pretty much equal in performance in the end. Even though you mention that prices aren't part of it to consider, it really is something that means a lot in the end. You're going to get more features and better performance from the AMD platform for less money than a comparable Intel platform: The processor prices are less and the motherboards can be less often times, too.

Since solidly picking one processor over the other is hard for me I'll give you a motherboard to match for each. With an Intel processor I would choose the ASUS P7P55D Pro or EVO for an ATX motherboard or P7H55-M Pro for a microATX motherboard. As for an AMD system I'd say the ASUS M4A89TD PRO for an ATX motherboard or ASUS M4A88TD-M for a microATX motherboard.

A couple things to keep in mind I guess:

1) If you aren't planning to overclock the processor, the AMD Phenom II X4 955 might have a slight advantage, not only because of cost but because of higher base clock speed.

2) If you aren't sure your case will have good cooling or you aren't planning to purchase an aftermarket CPU cooler, the Intel Core i5-760 migith have a slight advantage as it can run a little cooler. If you plan to overclock the processor this one might have a little more headroom to get a higher base clock.

rcook99

Brett,

I knew you would have answers for my questions and for that I thank you, but I just got an email this morning about a 72hr sale from the egg and can buy the I-5 760 Lynnfield for $179.00 as opposed to $204 yesterday so does that make any difference on your thoughts. Also I have looked at these two boards but don't see much difference. Can you tell me other than the higher cost board supports SLI/CrossfireX and is it worth the extra money? Going witht the first board and the I5 puts the build cost within $30 of the AMD setup. I have the other parts all figured out so it comes down to the MOBO.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131634

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131621

These are the specs for the build at this point:

Video Card: EVGA 01G-P3-1450-TR GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Power Supply: CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-650HX 650W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE

Tower: COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN3 CM690 II Basic Black Steel ATX Mid

CPU Cooler:COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5

or this one COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible Hyper N 520 RR-920-N520-GP 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

Hard Drives: X2 Western Digital Caviar Black WD6402AAEX 640GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Last edited:

choucove

The main difference between these two ASUS boards is just as you put it, support for CrossFire X/SLI. That's not really a big issue I am imagining for you, though personally for myself if possible I try to opt for the "What If" factor and get the motherboard that supports it just in case it is needed in the future. However, the 450 graphics card you are looking at will be plenty of power for what you need!

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that all fo the PRO series of motherboards from ASUS qualify for advance replacement in the case of a failure. This means if your motherboard goes out, they will overnight a replacement to you before you have to even send the faulty one back, which with other motherboards and vendors you would have to send the faulty one back and wait up to three weeks for a replacement. I've only had one ASUS motherboard go faulty in four years, but that would have been a nice thing to have. Still, it may not be worth the price difference between those two motherboards! That is why we ended up choosing the EVO series from ASUS as it is kind of that happy medium between the above to ASUS boards (but of course at the moment, newegg is sold out!)

The good thing I see with the boards you posted above, though, is that they both have built-in SATA 6Gb/s. Your Western Digital hard drives are native 6 Gb/s SATA3 hard drives so that just means you can use the full potential of the hard drives (and then some!) I have unfortunately had some bad luck with the USB3 drivers on a couple computers, but I believe slowly but surely those have been getting all worked out.

Given the rest of the components that you have selected out above (especially with a nVidia graphics card and 1600 Mhz DDR3 memory) I'd say your better bet here then would be the i5-760 processor. With the discounted price it's much more feasible as it approaches the same price for the AMD system. Also, did you notice that the ASUS boards have a discount if you purchase the combo with the motherboard and Core i5 together?

In the end, between this system on an i5-760 processor or an identical system on a Phenom II X4 955 you wouldn't be able to tell the difference performance-wise even having the two systems setting side by side. They are basically tied. If you ran a full suite of benchmarks and tests the numbers would be close and one might edge out the other just slightly but not in a way that you'd ever be able to recognize a difference in real world use.