• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question ICC profile creaton in i1 Profiler for a Epson SC80600

rwinkie

After 7 frustrating years with our SC30670 it finally has given up the ghost and we are upgrading to a SC80600. Figured I'd keep with the Epson since I'm familiar with controls, maintence, repair and I'm a glutton for punishment. In the past we have used a color guy to create media profiles for us, but it's not in the budget right now. At this point I need to be able to create my own profiles, at least passable ones. I have a i1 Pro2 and we are running Onyx Thrive 19. I've been reading up and I think I have the basics down, but I would really like to create my ICC profiles in I1 Profiler, although doing the workflow through Onyx does look easier. One thing that I haven't quite figured out and I haven't been able to find answers to, is how to create a profile for a 9 color printer in i1 Profiler since the optons end at CMYK +4. Any advice? Also any general advice about creating media profiles is always appreciated.

Also, my customers looooovvveee bright saturated and neonish colors so if there are any reccomendations for those during profile creation I would love to hear them--to the point where I'm debating having a seperate profile just for those.

I also want to generally say thank you to all those who post and share your knowledge on this forum. I started out knowing nothing, but I have learned so much and solved so many equipment issues just by searching threads at 11 pm on a Tuesday.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
I prefer i1Profiler to Onyx when profiling our 80600. Gamut plots show the colour range to be slightly larger when using i1... YMMV.

Don't worry about the additional ink settings. You can profile using the standard CMYK option and should get excellent results.
When you set up a new media type in Onyx, select Epson workflow rather than Onyx workflow. This will use the onboard ink restriction and spot colour algorithms, allowing for the saturation/bright colours you're seeking.
Most media seem to profile very well when set to 80% (+/- 2%) ink per channel.

I don't have documentation on the procedure, but if you get stuck you know where to ask...

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Light inks are not classified as additional colours. for example Light cyan and cyan are actually 1 colour. Additional colours are violet, orange, green, etc.

rwinkie

Thanks for both these answers, I was so confused by the extra ink options. The 80600 does have Orange and Red as well as Light Cyan, Magenta and Black but i1 Profiler asks for either pantone or Lab color of the ink and that seems like a pain to figure out. I'm sure I will be back with more questions. I went through the profiling process with our office inkjet for giggles yesterday to get some of the basics down. Now I wait for it to show up...

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Thanks for both these answers, I was so confused by the extra ink options. The 80600 does have Orange and Red as well as Light Cyan, Magenta and Black but i1 Profiler asks for either pantone or Lab color of the ink and that seems like a pain to figure out. I'm sure I will be back with more questions. I went through the profiling process with our office inkjet for giggles yesterday to get some of the basics down. Now I wait for it to show up...
To get the LAB colours, all you do is measure the ink colour with the i1pro. that's what it does. you would go from the darkest patch i believe from your ink restrictions.

All you'll need to do is provide LAB colours for orange and red.
Cyan & light cyan are classified as "cyan" you change the transition curves in onyx ink restrictions. same with magenta and black if you have light black.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Honestly, I think this method isn't going to work properly as those additional channels usually mean "spot" colours like white/metallic/varnish. I have a feeling that if you end up profiling with one of the CMYK+x models, you'd need to reference the additional channels with a spot colour name in design files and it's going to get quite tricky.
I would recommend to use the normal CMYK profiling option. The Epson machines have an excellent onboard RIP which does a great job of using the most appropriate ink from the available 9 colours.
We get spectacular profiles using this method. I'm even happy to share one of our profiles generated this way if you want to see how ours print.

Val47

I've tried creating profiles with the I-one with little success. The last time I tried to monkey with it, I kept running into roadblocks - the main one being that the software kept telling me I needed to upgrade - as certain functions were not available. I was trying to integrate 4 printers in Onyx, yielding the same results no matter which printer I use. fail. always working on that though - when I have real downtime.

Always watching these threads, because I can never seem to make it work.
for our Epson 80600, I have a handful of profiles. If it's vinyl, I always use the 3M setting our installer suggested. It works great on pretty much all vinyl I print on. I know I know, just one profile make me lazy according to some, but it works well, and I can move product. That's the first rule.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
The old Monaco Profiler Platinum software was excellent for N-color profiling. After reading the patches in, there was a section for changing the behavior of the additional colors. They defaulted to a spot color, but there was a curve controlling this, which could be changed from a steep narrow range curve to a straight 45 degree line, allowing those colors to be used as a full range color instead of a spot color. This control does not exist in i1 Profiler. Unfortunately, as XRite moved on in their profiling software, there were no updates for the hardware dongle driver to work in a 64bit hardware computer. Software works, but not the dongle, even as a virtual 32bit PC. So I have an older laptop running Win7 32bit that I hope never dies! If any of the color experts here have found a workaround, I would be delighted to know how.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
I've tried creating profiles with the I-one with little success. The last time I tried to monkey with it, I kept running into roadblocks - the main one being that the software kept telling me I needed to upgrade - as certain functions were not available. I was trying to integrate 4 printers in Onyx, yielding the same results no matter which printer I use. fail. always working on that though - when I have real downtime.

Always watching these threads, because I can never seem to make it work.
for our Epson 80600, I have a handful of profiles. If it's vinyl, I always use the 3M setting our installer suggested. It works great on pretty much all vinyl I print on. I know I know, just one profile make me lazy according to some, but it works well, and I can move product. That's the first rule.

Do you know if you have the "Publish" licence on your device? If not, you won't be able to profile CMYK devices in i1Profiler, only RGB (usually aqueous) printers. We mistakenly bought the incorrect one, but were able to upgrade the licence and unlock all of the features.

Val47

I don't know.. but will check. that might be it. Next time I have some down time to work more on mastering this. I have small windows, but not long enough to really get into it. Mostly busy getting stuff done and out. But when I have down time, I like to explore improving my tools. mastering my trade so-to-speak :)