• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Identical Paths In Image

wildhock

Hello Everyone,

I have a scanned image in Illy and trace it. When I go in and begin to adjust paths and nodes, there is and exact same path underneath the path I am working on. Is there anyway to create one path prior to adjusting nodes? Hope this makes sense.

Thanks, Jon

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Sounds like you have a black path and a white path. You just need to move one and select the other and delete it.

wildhock

Thanks for the reply Fred. What I have is both a path and a exact compound path. What I am wondering if there is a function that will flatten the paths together into one. For cutting, with both compound and regular paths, the cutter will make two passes.

Thanks, Jon

Malkin

After scanning you have black shapes & white shapes. Select one shape, then choose select all of the same color, then press delete. You should have 1 set of paths left.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
You can also download both the Select and the WR-removeDuplicates we have available here for exactly your situation. I use them both on a regular basis. Each has its own instructions and I highly recommend them. I have not found anything within Illustrator that will deal with this issue and got both these freeware plugins from the Adobe Forums.

Here's a link to the downloads.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I have this trouble sometimes and export the image to a waterjet cutting program that has the capabilities of removing duplicate paths.

Thank you for the tip for the Adobe plug-in....I'll definitely check that one out.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
That happens when you use the autotrace function in Illustrator. To avoid this, check the "ignore white" box in the autotrace dialog box

wildhock

Eric,

Can you expand on the function you are referring too? I am using "Live Trace" - "Make and Expand" under the object tab. Where do I go to have the option to deselect the white?

Thanks, Jon

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
in the tracing options

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-09-08 at 4.23.33 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-09-08 at 4.23.33 PM.png
    58.4 KB · Views: 83

wildhock

This is extremely frustrating. I am running CS2. I have the tracing option box open and everything matches your screen shot except for I do not have the "ignore white" check box available????:banghead:

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
your only choice is to follow #4. Or you could draw a white box, click on the magic wand tool on the box and all white shapes will be selected. Click delete