• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Idk about calling current customers anymore

J

john1

Well, reading all these marketing tips and decided to call a few dozen or so top customers from the past year.

Half didn't answer, quarter didn't remember who I was or service I did for them and other quarter seemed to care less I called to follow up. Even had one guy say he was in a hurry so used their old vendor since they had the design done already. I turned his last job around in 24 hours but guess that means jack.

Fudge My Life and all this marketing crap.:flamey:

SignManiac

Get yourself a gorilla costume, knock on their door and hand them a vase full of fresh cut flowers and box of chocolates. Guarantee they will never forget who you are.

royster13

I have about 700+ clients in my database......Several times a year and a couple weeks back I reached out to them.....This time by mail...but sometimes by phone or email.....This morning I had 18 inquiries to followup on.....It is a game of numbers......Just keep at it.....

PS.....Do not wait so long to follow up.....Do you send Thank You cards?.....Do you ask for referrals?.....Do you call on neighbours when making deliveries or installations?....

SignManiac

My problem is I'm too busy to go after more work. Had some telemarketer try to sell me on getting government bids. I told her not interested in more work, can barely keep up with the work I already have. Feast or famine is the nature of the beast.

J

john1

I always follow up at the end of the month and I do send thank you cards. After transactions. Most customers are home based and or not local to me.

CS-SignSupply-TT

Customer CARE!

I have about 700+ clients in my database......Several times a year and a couple weeks back I reached out to them.....This time by mail...but sometimes by phone or email.....This morning I had 18 inquiries to followup on.....It is a game of numbers......Just keep at it.....

PS.....Do not wait so long to follow up.....Do you send Thank You cards?.....Do you ask for referrals?.....Do you call on neighbors when making deliveries or installations?....

Royce, your "PS" is priceless. Yes, it takes work and for some, it distracts from building the signs. Nevertheless, it works! :goodpost:

J

john1

I did not wait too long to follow up...Honestly i have came to the conclusion nobody gives a crap and that's that.

Techman

Half didn't answer, quarter didn't remember who I was or service I did for them and other quarter seemed to care less I called to follow up. Even had one guy say he was in a hurry so used their old vendor since they had the design done already. I turned his last job around in 24 hours but guess that means jack.

They will remember you and use yoru services..
IF: you follow a complete and comprehensive marketing plan.

That includes a note or post card talking about what you do on a regular basis.

J

john1

Techman, Are you saying send a monthly newsletter via snail mail to them or postcard?

John L

Get off that nippy and make yourself a kick azz promotional piece, new shop sign, find a rusted hunk and letter your logo on the side.. thats a rat rod. Maybe get some tattoos and piercings and start some nasty rumors about yourself. Get a nearby used car lot to park several pickups and vans in front of your place while you practice on them... no one wants to be "first". You gotta look busy, not needy.

I'm like Bob.. in that I can't do any more than what I got on my plate daily. Most of the time I dont answer the phone unless I recognize the caller. I don't have the energy for any new hires right now so I muster with my same crew.

This isn't luck. You just gotta be damn good and also sneaky if you want to market. WHERE ARE YOUR CUSTOMERS TODAY? It takes a lot of years to get a good reputation around. It takes 15 seconds for a bad reputation to get around.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Get off that nippy and make yourself a kick azz promotional piece, new shop sign, find a rusted hunk and letter your logo on the side.. thats a rat rod. Maybe get some tattoos and piercings and start some nasty rumors about yourself. Get a nearby used car lot to park several pickups and vans in front of your place while you practice on them... no one wants to be "first". You gotta look busy, not needy.

I'm like Bob.. in that I can't do any more than what I got on my plate daily. Most of the time I dont answer the phone unless I recognize the caller. I don't have the energy for any new hires right now so I muster with my same crew.

This isn't luck. You just gotta be damn good and also sneaky if you want to market. WHERE ARE YOUR CUSTOMERS TODAY? It takes a lot of years to get a good reputation around. It takes 15 seconds for a bad reputation to get around.

That's perfect. Nothing needs to be added !!

lexsigns

I used to send Thank you cards when I had the time- I still send email thank yous.

I send newsletters every couple months or so- I feature a recent client, give them a plug and how to contact them. I ask if anyone wants to be featured to let me know. I try to actually help them get in contact with new clients too so its a win win- Keeps all the existing reading up and us on their mind :)

I have even run into old customers who arent in biz anymore and ask to keep getting them- I keep the humor pretty light and friendly.

Just what works for me-

SignManiac

I'm terrified at the thought of marketing. I'm gearing up to increase my production capabilities first, and then I might make an effort to really put my name out there. Problem is that I haven't found anybody who can make the sale like I can. You have to know your chit and also know your capabilities. You have to know what is worth taking on and what you need to say no to. Like John, my plate is incredibly full at the moment and I have to really question if I want more work. This year with the move has been an exhausting year and I can't wait until it's over.

Next year I will decide if I want to keep growing. I'll be starting out with a fresh outlook and rest after the holidays. Remember, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Be careful what you wish for, it could come true and that isn't necessarily always a good thing.

J

john1

Can anyone refer me to someone to get a marketing plan going that will generate results?

Thanks all

MichaelAlmand

John, my major downfall is going out to get sales, I hate bugging or interupting their day. If they come to me I can sell!
Heck I can upsell a coroplast sign to an alupanel sign or a set of vehicle magnetics to a partial wrap, as long as they come to me. I'm in the same boat as you bud. Keep your head up it will work out. Keep planting the seeds!

Techman

IT takes a plan.
And it takes some experience.
And you have to keep statistics on your calls, appts, sales, average sale, customer value and more.

All that coupled with using advertising with the correct wording will bring work. It takes a little faith to play the numbers. Once the line starts working it will bring in a continuous flow of new clients. Dump the coro, and the decals. Do high end work and git paid. Shoot for an average sale of about $200 and see what happens.