• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

iDot instead of car magnets

Johnny Best

I obtained some of this material from BigFish at Gans and it works as stated. Holds up great in the sun and comes off easily after a couple of weeks. Works great on glass also for temp signs.

SkyHighJK

FYI for anyone interested ---- the decal is still on my car after ~9 days .... no peeling edges or anything like that. It's been dry and dusty (and a little smokey) here in Southern Cal, and this morning there was finally a nice layer of dew on the vehicle when I woke up. Edges still look great!
I'll be making another video in a week or two showing what the decal looks like, and how easily it'll come off even after 2 or 3 weeks.
Most importantly --- I love my car. And I'm totally not worried about iDot messing with the paint. If I were, I would have used BigfishDM 's car for the video!! ;):D:p

-Jordan

Johnny Best

Can this material be placed back on the liner then reapplied a week or two later? If so it would work great for what I need.

Yes you can it still will stick after taking it off and putting on release liner. I had to use it to get onto a international airport construction site and I put it on my truck door with my company details, which they required, and took it off and reused two more times when I needed it. Have it rolled up in a tube in the back seat to use later if I need it. I have the F150 aluminum body and magnets do not stay on.

SkyHighJK

Can this material be placed back on the liner then reapplied a week or two later? If so it would work great for what I need.

You CAN do that --- however we've found that the most effective way to do something like that would be to get a bit of our XBase material and mount it to a board. It's basically like giving yourself a bubble-free (and rigid) release liner that you can use again and again.
That being said, as long as the release liner stays clean you can certainly use it as a temporary storage location for your already-used iDot.

-Jordan

SkyHighJK

Yes you can it still will stick after taking it off and putting on release liner. I had to use it to get onto a international airport construction site and I put it on my truck door with my company details, which they required, and took it off and reused two more times when I needed it. Have it rolled up in a tube in the back seat to use later if I need it. I have the F150 aluminum body and magnets do not stay on.

Nice! Yeah this material is perfect for the F-series trucks. Glad it's been working out for ya!

-JK

flyplainsdrifta

what exactly is idot, is it just a hitack removable adhesive or is it more than that? super interested, just couldn't really tell what I'm looking at lol.

SkyHighJK

what exactly is idot, is it just a hitack removable adhesive or is it more than that? super interested, just couldn't really tell what I'm looking at lol.

It is a 4Mil FILM (not vinyl) that has adhesive dots on the back instead of a solid film of adhesion. It's naturally very bubble-free as a result, as the the air has plenty of room to escape as the material is being applied to a surface. It's very easy to install at the store level, without the need for water (or experience, for that matter). The adhesive dots themselves are strong yet removable (within a reasonable amount of time) on most surfaces. There is a clear version as well which is great for interior-mounted, outside-facing graphics (reverse printed).

SkyHighJK

okay very cool. i like that. almost idiot proof for customers with little to no experience doing mounting or installation.

Totally. As you can probably tell by my technique (or lack thereof) in the video, I really have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to installation. If I can figure it out, anyone can! Totally dummyproof, which suits me well :)

-jk

cajun312

You CAN do that --- however we've found that the most effective way to do something like that would be to get a bit of our XBase material and mount it to a board. It's basically like giving yourself a bubble-free (and rigid) release liner that you can use again and again.
That being said, as long as the release liner stays clean you can certainly use it as a temporary storage location for your already-used iDot.

-Jordan
Would a thin pvc sheet work as well? I would be selling this to people who would use it on their cars for temporary numbers for autocross and track day. Usually one event a month. I think the casual user would struggle getting it back on the Idot liner. Will the Idot material stick well enough to vehicles at 100mph?

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Would a thin pvc sheet work as well? I would be selling this to people who would use it on their cars for temporary numbers for autocross and track day. Usually one event a month. I think the casual user would struggle getting it back on the Idot liner. Will the Idot material stick well enough to vehicles at 100mph?

That would work

SkyHighJK

Will the Idot material stick well enough to vehicles at 100mph?

Yeah, it should no problem --- I've been doing around 80 or 85 at times on the freeways here in Los Angeles and the edges still look fine.
(Don't judge me....Just keeping up with traffic :covereyes:)

DerbyCitySignGuy

Eco solvent, latex, UV printable? Does it need be laminated?

[Edit: Nevermind, I was too interested to wait for a reply. Haha! Already on your website.]