• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

IJC257 vs IJC256

smholm22

Hello everyone! I'm a newcomer to the forums. I've been running an Oce Arizone 360GT for a year and a half. We're considering making the switch from IJC256 to IJC257. The best, and frankly only, real good description I can find of the two is from the Oce bulletin they put out. However, it doesn't really say why anyone would continue using IJC256. So... that's my question--what are the downsides to using IJC257?

Thanks in advance everyone! Looking forward to learning and sharing knowledge here.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
IJ256 will eventually be phased out from what I've heard.
We moved to IJ257 about 18 months ago. The only downside... and it's so minor it doesn't really qualify, is that the magenta channel can sometimes clog up faster than when on IJ256, but only when the printer is left for days upon days idle.
If you print every day, you will never have this issue.

We haven't moved to IJ257 white yet, as apparently it's noticeably more blue than IJ256 white. We'll eventually move when forced, but for now our profiles are stunning and I don't have time to fiddle with the machine for a full day getting them right again with 257.

Other than that, adhesion is much better and gamut is the same (although Canon cautiously say it's slightly less). We can hit every colour that we could on IJ256 so I'm not complaining.

smholm22

IJ256 will eventually be phased out from what I've heard.
We moved to IJ257 about 18 months ago. The only downside... and it's so minor it doesn't really qualify, is that the magenta channel can sometimes clog up faster than when on IJ256, but only when the printer is left for days upon days idle.
If you print every day, you will never have this issue.

We haven't moved to IJ257 white yet, as apparently it's noticeably more blue than IJ256 white. We'll eventually move when forced, but for now our profiles are stunning and I don't have time to fiddle with the machine for a full day getting them right again with 257.

Other than that, adhesion is much better and gamut is the same (although Canon cautiously say it's slightly less). We can hit every colour that we could on IJ256 so I'm not complaining.

That's great, thank you! Our machine is running every day, with no more than 2 days idle generally.

Our sales rep was trying to sell us 257 by touting it will cover fingerprints / ghosting from mask and promoters, as opposed to how 256 makes them show awfully. Do you find this to be the case? We're equally looking to get better adhesion as well as minimize bad prints from fingerprints.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Our sales rep was trying to sell us 257 by touting it will cover fingerprints / ghosting from mask and promoters, as opposed to how 256 makes them show awfully. Do you find this to be the case? We're equally looking to get better adhesion as well as minimize bad prints from fingerprints.

I'm also curious about this. We've been running 256 since we got our Arizona 5 years ago and I'm happy with the color gamut and adhesion on most substrates, but I agree it does NOT cover any fingerprints or contaminants whatsoever.

I've considered switching to aftermarket inks but I might give 257 series a shot instead.

estunum

We switched to 257 a year into having our 460 GT. We knew the ink was thicker, generally more work to maintain, but the adhesion properties is what we wanted. We print a lot on acrylic, this is before digital acrylic became more available. We had no issues until we changed from Oce inks to Nazdar inks.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
IJ257 still doesn't cover fingerprints or masking marks fully. You will still notice them in lighter areas of print quite easily. It's not as bad in areas of darker print, but at the correct angle of view they will show up just as badly as 256 ever did.

smholm22

IJ257 still doesn't cover fingerprints or masking marks fully. You will still notice them in lighter areas of print quite easily. It's not as bad in areas of darker print, but at the correct angle of view they will show up just as badly as 256 ever did.
Damn. So there is a slight improvement in covering fingerprints in optimal conditions, but it's not a magic cure all. Thank you for your help!