• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illegal Window Graphics?

kirkbedtelyon

Hey Folks,

Can anyone tell me where I can read and print laws regarding vehicle wraps on windows (I'm in Michigan)?

I've Googled my fingers off to no avail.

I have a transit customer that wants to wrap their new branding partially over the entry doors of their buses. It's always been my understanding that it's illegal to wrap graphics over either of the front two side windows of a vehicle -essentially what the entry door windows are on a bus.

Your thoughts?

Thanks.

Fanaticus

we have customers who want windows covered that we either deem unsafe or illegal sign a waiver that states we have informed them of the legalities and that they will not be operating the vehicle in any manner that would be considered illegal by law enforcement. They also agree not to hold us liable for any damages or claims that may result from the installation.

We include the vehicle make, model, year, and VIN on the waiver, then they sign it.

kirkbedtelyon

Well here's the law

1) A person shall not operate a motor vehicle with any of the following:

(a) A sign, poster, nontransparent material, window application, reflective film, or nonreflective film upon or in the front windshield, the side windows immediately adjacent to the driver or front passenger, or the sidewings adjacent to and forward of the driver or front passenger, except that a tinted film may be used along the top edge of the windshield and the side windows or sidewings immediately adjacent to the driver or front passenger if the material does not extend more than 4 inches from the top of the windshield, or lower than the shade band, whichever is closer to the top of the windshield.

kirkbedtelyon

As I read it, they can have film on the top 4" not extending lower than the shade band.
I would think the same would be true for perf.

Thanks for your comment Fanaticus

rjssigns

The general rule here in Titletown is you can apply tint, graphics etc... from any point behind the drivers shoulders.