• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illustrator and photoshop not printing same blue.

altereddezignz

So here are 2 images of a process blue coated printed in illustrator and in photoshop

Not even close to a match.

Any reason?

Here are the color setting of each app. Along with the save as dialog box.

Using onyx 12 rip

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_17 Dec. 08 16.58.jpg
    ScreenHunter_17 Dec. 08 16.58.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 293
  • ScreenHunter_18 Dec. 08 16.58.png
    ScreenHunter_18 Dec. 08 16.58.png
    50.7 KB · Views: 217
  • ScreenHunter_19 Dec. 08 16.58.png
    ScreenHunter_19 Dec. 08 16.58.png
    60.5 KB · Views: 243
  • ScreenHunter_20 Dec. 08 17.00.png
    ScreenHunter_20 Dec. 08 17.00.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 219

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It is most likely the rendering intent settings in the RIP you need to take a look at. If the bitmap and vector rendering intents are different, you will get the results you are getting. I'm not sure how to get to those settings in Onyx but I am sure it is in the user manual and/or someone here can point you in the right direction.

Edit: If this is a bitmap image that you are opening in Illustrator and Photoshop that has no vector data, check the document color mode in Illustrator. It tends to default to CMYK even if there is RGB data in the file.

altereddezignz

They are set the same. I also unchecked to inbed the icc profile from photoshop just now and printed the color. Got the same results.

In both ia and ps the rendering intest in the software itself is set to Relative Colorimetric

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The only thing I can think of is not using compression on when saving the TIFF in PS. Try that out and see if it helps. Otherwise, hopefully CorrectColor sees this tomorrow and can help you out more.

shoresigns

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought EPS files couldn't have an ICC profile embedded in them? TIFF files can, and your RIP is set to honor them. Could that be the problem?

Failing that, maybe try posting the files so we can have a look.

Andy_warp

The rip will not honor a photoshop "pantone" because it is pixels.

Your spot color from illustrator is being altered by Onyx spot color replacement.
This is why it's bad to place a pixel based image using a pantone over the same pantone in illustrator...they won't match because of your rip.

It's actually a good thing that it does this.

altereddezignz

The rip will not honor a photoshop "pantone" because it is pixels.

Your spot color from illustrator is being altered by Onyx spot color replacement.
This is why it's bad to place a pixel based image using a pantone over the same pantone in illustrator...they won't match because of your rip.

It's actually a good thing that it does this.

Ok so a cure if I need one lol. I need to be able to create files in illy and in ps that match in color? Convert Pantone to cmyk or rgb and use that?

altereddezignz

So here is what i just tried to see if i could get colors the same

Create a Photoshop file with RGB color mode.
Created a illustrator file with RGB layout.

Created 2 swatches in each and one i i used the RGB color for the process blue and the other i used the cmyk mix
Saved Files as followed

Illustrator
saved as eps
Saved as PDF

Photoshop
Saved as tiff with profile on
Saved as tiff with profile off
Saved as PDF with profile on
Saved as PDF with profile off.

Results

The CMYK mix in all files print the same
The RGB swatch in illustrator matches in PDF and EPS but does not match the Photoshop print.
The RGB swatch in Photoshop matches in PDF and EPS but does not match the illustrator print.

To sum it up. RGB does not match across illustrator and Photoshop but on these colors in particular they do match in CMYK mix in a RGB file across Photoshop and illustrator.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get Photoshop files that have this rgb mix to match. I create mostly all in RGB. Now i dont print business cards in house so that will be another challenge later when i need to make the rgb color from illustrator match cmyk for business cards i have printed.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

shoresigns

Ah, when you said process blue in the first post I thought you just meant you're printing blue in process CMYK, using an RGB file - I didn't realize you meant you were using a spot colour.

So, assuming Onyx deals with spot colours in a similar fashion to our Versaworks that we use here, it should make no difference what colour values you put into the spot colour. As long as Onyx recognizes the name of the spot colour, it will replace it with whatever predetermined CMYK values it has in its colour library.

I have no idea how to put spot colours in a Photoshop file though! I'm pretty sure you can do it, and if you've done it correctly I'm pretty sure your printed output should match.

altereddezignz

Open the colors or double clock on the foreground color it brings up the color picker.
click on color libraries.
Select Pantone Solid Coated +
Select pantone process blue
then create you image text or file.

Images below.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_22 Dec. 09 13.02.png
    ScreenHunter_22 Dec. 09 13.02.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 176
  • ScreenHunter_21 Dec. 09 13.02.png
    ScreenHunter_21 Dec. 09 13.02.png
    32 KB · Views: 187
  • ScreenHunter_20 Dec. 09 13.02.png
    ScreenHunter_20 Dec. 09 13.02.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 194

altereddezignz

Here are the pdf files. one from ps one from AI

ONe block is CMYK mix for process blue and the other is process blue selection.

Attachments

• process blue test profile on photoshop.pdf
    173.6 KB · Views: 288
  • process blue test ill .pdf
    674.9 KB · Views: 245

Chasez

I have no idea how to put spot colours in a Photoshop file though! I'm pretty sure you can do it, and if you've done it correctly I'm pretty sure your printed output should match.

The way I've done it is you have to make your selection of what you want the spot colour, then click on channels, then create new alpha channel. Depending on how many spot colours your printer is capable of printing, it will match what the rip's Spot colour order is (alpha channel 1 - spot colour 1, alpha channel 2 - spot colour 2). That's how onyx does it... if I am wrong, someone please correct me, but that's how I interpreted it from Onyx's white papers.

Chaz

altereddezignz

The way I've done it is you have to make your selection of what you want the spot colour, then click on channels, then create new alpha channel. Depending on how many spot colours your printer is capable of printing, it will match what the rip's Spot colour order is (alpha channel 1 - spot colour 1, alpha channel 2 - spot colour 2). That's how onyx does it... if I am wrong, someone please correct me, but that's how I interpreted it from Onyx's white papers.

Chaz

Will this work with gradients as well? Ill have to do some testing and see.

Chasez

Will this work with gradients as well? Ill have to do some testing and see.

Yes it does, you do the same thing, open the channel panel, select new alpha channel, then take your gradient tool and create your gradient.If my mind serves me correct the black area is the spot channel and the white area is clear, might taking some playing around to figure out exactly which is which. If your wanting the gradient on just a certain area, have the area selected (with the marching ants) then follow the steps.

Chaz

altereddezignz

Yes it does, you do the same thing, open the channel panel, select new alpha channel, then take your gradient tool and create your gradient.If my mind serves me correct the black area is the spot channel and the white area is clear, might taking some playing around to figure out exactly which is which. If your wanting the gradient on just a certain area, have the area selected (with the marching ants) then follow the steps.

Chaz

Created an alpha channel for the process blue and saved the file as a tiff selecting to save spot colors then ripped and printed. Color is exactly the same as before no change from before creating the spot color.

altereddezignz

Saved as pdf, eps, eps dcs 2.0, tiff, prints the same every time but when dcs2 in saved it just prints black.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_22 Dec. 09 15.44.png
    ScreenHunter_22 Dec. 09 15.44.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 173

altereddezignz

Ok so here is what onyx lists.
I can look at the spot colors it sees.
The one image that shows none it shows it on every file from photoshop
on the one that shows spot colors that is from illustrator eps file

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_22 Dec. 09 15.53.png
    ScreenHunter_22 Dec. 09 15.53.png
    9 KB · Views: 188
  • ScreenHunter_22 Dec. 09 15.52.png
    ScreenHunter_22 Dec. 09 15.52.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 173

altereddezignz

If anyone has used onyx you know you can print color swatches or a swatch table based off a scan color or an input color. I did this directly out of onyx and it matches the colors printed from photoshop but not the colors printed from illustrator. Maybe this will help someone to finding a solution for the issue i am having as i have not yet...
Thanks