• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illustrator/Photoshop Layout

max86

The attached file shows what my final goal is. I do snowmobile graphics and the top layout is how the template looks while designing. My goal is the be able to design on the top template and then somehow have the pieces linked so that they will automaticaly go into the bottom template when I am done designing. I am kind of leaning towards the solution being with linked smart objects in photoshop, but I do not know that process well so I can't get it to work correctly.

I currently design with 3 layers, he top being the template that is punched through a rectange. The middle is the design layer, and the bottom is the main background color. My current proocess is to then individually make all of the separet pieces into their own clipping mask (this requires copying and pasting the artwork many times and it is often very large so it slows down my computer). Once they are all masked I then arrange them into the corresponding places. I do hundreds of sled wraps and this is just not an efficient way at all.

If anyone has any knowledge or advice on the situation that would be greatly appreciated. I can also provide you with a couple of my art files so you can see exactly what I am talking about if that would help you.

Thanks in advance!!
Layout.JPG

shoresigns

I don't know about Photoshop, but linking is easy in Illustrator. Put all your designs in one AI file and then File > Place it into the print layout AI file to link it. Then you can duplicate the linked object and put whatever clipping masks you want on it, and rearrange the pieces to your production layout.

Then all you have to do is design in your design AI file and then open your production AI file to export a file for printing.

jfiscus

Rap Master
You are going to have to learn a 3d software program if you want to do this. The flattened PhotoShop artwork will be a "skin" or image map for your 3d model; which you're also going to have to be able to design... NOT an easy task.