• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Illustrator won't open a certain file

bigben

So I have a particular illustrator file saved as a pdf (all vector) that won't open. I've tried it on 2 separate computer and it's the same. When I open it, it load about 25% and stop there. If I clic something I have the ''not responding'' line on the top appearing. The file is not very big (124mb) but have complex vector in it and 3D vector items. I have a decent computer and never had this problem before.

What can I do and/or where do I need to start to change something?

Thanks.

Ben

myront

CorelDRAW is best
What about using "Place" instead of open? Do you have Acrobat Pro or some other form thereof?

Chasez

Try opening it in a different type of vector program (corel, inkscape, affinity, etc.) and see what it does. If you can open it in one of the other programs save it as a new file and open the new file in adobe.

Chaz

bigben

corrupted file?

That was my first idea, but sometime illustrator work ''more'' when I have items like drop shadow or 3D stuff.

What about using "Place" instead of open? Do you have Acrobat Pro or some other form thereof?

If I use ''place'', it work but I can't edit it. If I select ''edit original'', I have the same problem. Yes I have acrobat pro. I can see it when I open it.

Try opening it in a different type of vector program (corel, inkscape, affinity, etc.) and see what it does. If you can open it in one of the other programs save it as a new file and open the new file in adobe.

Chaz

With your suggestion, I've tried to open it in Corel, but it transform my 3D layers in a bitmap layer and I can't edit it.

I have my original 3D parts in another file. So I think I will have to reconstruct my entire file. Thanks for your help.

shoresigns

If "place" works, then just click Embed to make it editable. If that doesn't work, try Object > Flatten Transparency. If that still doesn't work, place it, save it as a new AI/EPS/PDF file, then place it in another new file and try to Embed or Flatten Transparency (yes, placing it twice actually solves the problem sometimes).

bigben

Thanks all. I ended up by redo the file. At least, I had the 3D part in another folder. But when I will have more time, I will try all your suggestions. It will be a good thing to know for the future.

bigben

If "place" works, then just click Embed to make it editable. If that doesn't work, try Object > Flatten Transparency. If that still doesn't work, place it, save it as a new AI/EPS/PDF file, then place it in another new file and try to Embed or Flatten Transparency (yes, placing it twice actually solves the problem sometimes).

Ok, I was too curious about this one. So I've tried all you possibility and it did not work. I ended up with the same raster file that corel give me.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
So I have a particular illustrator file saved as a pdf (all vector)...

How can you be certain it's all vector? Drop shadows are always raster. We get pdf's all the time that are nothing but a jpg image.If an illustrator file is saved as pdf it's a pdf not an ai file. Perhaps the pdf was not made correctly from the get go. First indication would be if you get a missing a font message. As long as it's for straight print then all is fine. If changes have to be done and I don't have the font I send it back to where it came from.

bigben

How can you be certain it's all vector? Drop shadows are always raster. We get pdf's all the time that are nothing but a jpg image.If an illustrator file is saved as pdf it's a pdf not an ai file. Perhaps the pdf was not made correctly from the get go. First indication would be if you get a missing a font message. As long as it's for straight print then all is fine. If changes have to be done and I don't have the font I send it back to where it came from.

the drop shadows was just an example. I'm the one that created the file and there is no font in it. Everything was fine until I've saved it up and tried to reopen it few hours later.

TammieH

So I have a particular illustrator file saved as a pdf (all vector) that won't open. I've tried it on 2 separate computer and it's the same. When I open it, it load about 25% and stop there. If I clic something I have the ''not responding'' line on the top appearing. The file is not very big (124mb) but have complex vector in it and 3D vector items. I have a decent computer and never had this problem before.

What can I do and/or where do I need to start to change something?

Thanks.

Ben
If you are going to save as a pdf, always save an .ai file as a backup....I have run into similar corrupt pdf files as well.

Also try placing the .pdf file...as others have said, make sure the "Link" box is unchecked, select "Art" in the drop down window that pops up

You will need to Release the "Clipping Mask" ...everything should be good to go

Chasez

With your suggestion, I've tried to open it in Corel, but it transform my 3D layers in a bitmap layer and I can't edit it.

I have my original 3D parts in another file. So I think I will have to reconstruct my entire file. Thanks for your help.

Try using inkscape as an alt. Its a free download. I use alt programs all the time (Affinity designer and photo) when i have issues with files.

As a tip for anyone that is using an older version of Adobe (AI or PS) if you have a file that was created in a newer version than what you have and you get the error message that the file was created in a newer version blah blah blah, you can open the file in Affinity Design or Photo (depending on what file type your working with) and then re save it and it will open in Adobe.

Chaz

shoresigns

Ok, I was too curious about this one. So I've tried all you possibility and it did not work. I ended up with the same raster file that corel give me.

Did you try fiddling with the settings in Flatten Transparency? There's a slider from 0–100% that helps to determine how much of the artwork gets rasterized and how much is preserved as vector.

If you still want help with this file, post it so we can have a look. Otherwise we're just guessing.