• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illustrator ???

CarolinaCabinet

As I said on a previous post, I'm use to other software but have switched to Illustrator...

Is the a step and repeat function (or equivalent) within illustrator?

graphicmaniac

Step and Repeat

May be other ways...here's one.

Select object, right click, move, enter distance (check preview)..then click copy.
After that...if you hold contol key and tap D key as many times that you want a duplicate.

check help files.
get a book.

hope this helps. :smile:

Mason

Select the object, move your cursor over the object and hold down the alt key on PC or option key on the Mac click and drag release the mouse and then the alt key, now ctrl or cmd "d" to step and repeat.

CarolinaCabinet

Nevermind... those copies are like shadows, you can choose them or cut them... ARGH!!!! It's so weird that all of these simple sign programs have these things and the ULTIMATE illustrator doesn't include these easy options... sorry just venting... thanks guys

anotherdog

illustrator is a lot different and a steep learning curve, but I have tried the rest; Corel, Freehand and a lot of crappy restrictive sign programs etc. Illustrator is the best. Plus it outputs the cleanest postscript. It's worth getting used to.

CarolinaCabinet

illustrator is a lot different and a steep learning curve, but I have tried the rest; Corel, Freehand and a lot of crappy restrictive sign programs etc. Illustrator is the best. Plus it outputs the cleanest postscript. It's worth getting used to.

I agree... it's just being an a$$ to me right now... I gotta get some books this weekend, cuz I'm not finding exactly what I need on the net.

Mason

Nevermind... those copies are like shadows, you can choose them or cut them... ARGH!!!! It's so weird that all of these simple sign programs have these things and the ULTIMATE illustrator doesn't include these easy options... sorry just venting... thanks guys
Im pretty sure you didnt read my last post in this thread, the solution to your "problem" is quite simple really.

CarolinaCabinet

Im pretty sure you didnt read my last post in this thread, the solution to your "problem" is quite simple really.

I did read it, and your "solution" was very helpful as it made my process easier than what I was doing and saved me time.... but that is not step and repeat. Your "solution" was a very very helpful and pretty quick trick, but was not the "answer" to my question. Step and Repeat is a programmed in, not manual, way of selecting and object and then telling the system how many you wanted repeated horizontally, vertically, and with what size gap.

But yes, I read and I followed instructions, and thank you so much for you help. You did save me time.

Mason

Okay,
Under Edit, go to preferences/guides and grid, set up your grid to the spacing you desire, Under View, set Snap to grid, create your object then use my previous instructions to "repeat" your original object, Ctrl D to achieve the desired result.

Solution 2:

Create your object, knowing in advance the overall distance that you wish them to span, copy the object and set it at the furthest most point, On your tool bar use the Blend tool, click on the first copy and then again on the second copy. By default the Blend tool is set to "Smooth Color", not the effect you want, double click the blend tool on the tool bar to bring up its options, in the drop down menu choose "Specified distance" or Specified steps"

Bigdawg

Just Me
Found it.... Effect - Distort & Transform - Transform

Thanks Guys.

CarolinaCabinet said:

After you do that go to expand appearance under the object menu and you will have what you want

HaroldDesign

Is the a step and repeat function (or equivalent) within illustrator?

Another way is to select the object (or group of objects), press return, then enter the horizontal and vertical values. Select copy or move to duplicate or move your selection.