• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I'm a newbie and need help. Mac computer with a Roland CM-24

oneearthjc

Hi!
I just bought a used Roland CM-24 from someone who used it with a PC, but I have a Mac. I bought a 25 pin-to-USB cable, but am not sure it will work. I am also in search of software. Any suggestions? It seems like SignCut might be my best bet. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Techman

good luck,, that is at least a 15 yr old machine,.

You may wish to look for a newer machine and spend the money on that instead of this very old technology.

oneearthjc

old machine

Thanks. I am hoping to get my feet wet with this machine which I bought as a package deal with other equipment before investing in a new machine.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Seems to me he was trying to warn you against doing what you are doing for a reason. :wink:

You're not getting your feet wet per se, but that you're standing in quicksand and you're gonna sink.

OldPaint

HERES YOUR PROBLEMS
1. THE MAC
2. COREL DONT WORK ON A MAC.
3. so now you got to do a whole bunch of other things to CUT VINYL.
SOLUTION:
1. get a PC................WITH ANYTHING FROM WIN98 TO WIN 7........32 BIT.........and a older copy of corel from 7 to X5.........and set the plotter up with the PRINTER PORT.........and your in business.............
2. continue to mess wit the mac, get another mac sign cutting program$$$$, special rs232 cable............AND MAYBE it will work)))))
3. YOUR CHOICE)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
OH............and just to inform you.........THERE IS NO ADVANTAGE to running a plotter FROM A MAC......it does nothing better then a PC WILL)))))))

oneearthjc

Thanks

I appreciate the more detailed answer Old Paint. I'll see if I can find an old laptop for cheap. It isn't that I feel there is an advantage to the Mac, it's just what I have. Is Corel an expensive program? Will it allow me to create vector images? If someone gives me a logo and I need to increase the size, I'll need to find a way to do it without pixelation, right?

CrAkD

Download VMWARE Fusion....I run all my sign gear on macs....and I have a gerber edge from 1994. :rock-n-roll:

Bill Modzel

Crakd,
Are you a MacImprint user or running your Edge on the pc side of things? I've been running MI on an old G4 since 99 and it's still going strong. I have to admit that I am running low on G4's. There's not allot of them to be had anymore.

OldPaint

like i said..you can use any version of COREL FROM 7 to X7. you can pick up a copy on ebay for $40-150.00.
COREL WILL DO ANYTHING any other sign program will..........getting a used laptop with XP, WIN 7 32 bit........ and corel..........you need nothing else. i am one of the 1st people to use COREL DIRECT TO ROLAND.........was doing this in 1992-93 with corel 3... not X3, but 3 with WIN 3.11)))))))))
PIXILATION???? you dont have that with VECTOR GRAPHICS..... only BITMAPS))))))) learn the difference.
if you really are stuck on using the mac........BILL MODZEL is your go to guy........

oneearthjc

like i said..you can use any version of COREL FROM 7 to X7. you can pick up a copy on ebay for $40-150.00.
COREL WILL DO ANYTHING any other sign program will..........getting a used laptop with XP, WIN 7 32 bit........ and corel..........you need nothing else. i am one of the 1st people to use COREL DIRECT TO ROLAND.........was doing this in 1992-93 with corel 3... not X3, but 3 with WIN 3.11)))))))))
PIXILATION???? you dont have that with VECTOR GRAPHICS..... only BITMAPS))))))) learn the difference.
if you really are stuck on using the mac........BILL MODZEL is your go to guy........

I am not stuck on Mac. I will explore all options. I was just given a PC laptop which runs Windows XP. Is that too old? Also, there is no place to plug in the
roland cord. pccord.jpg

oneearthjc

Crakd,
Are you a MacImprint user or running your Edge on the pc side of things? I've been running MI on an old G4 since 99 and it's still going strong. I have to admit that I am running low on G4's. There's not allot of them to be had anymore.

Hi Bill,
I am not running anything at the moment. I bought the Roland plotter and am trying to figure out how to run it. I have a usb-to-25 pin cable, but I'm not sure my computer recognizes it. I don't have software. I just got an old PC laptop and I am trying to figure that out too. I obviously clueless, but appreciate any and all help.

oneearthjc

laptop pc

I got the laptop pc plugged into the plotter and downloaded a driver. Now, what software? I have an old computer running Windows XP. Cant run the trial of corel draw on it.