• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I'm an Epson printer field technician. AMA

Bush Screws

I was a former Dell Field Tech but now Iam repairing some of the coolest printers in the world. Ask me anything.

Since I work on Epson printers almost everyday, Ill see if I cant help out with any questions that pop up in the Epson sub forum if it relates to repairing or servicing them.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I was a former Dell Field Tech but now Iam repairing some of the coolest printers in the world. Ask me anything.

Since I work on Epson printers almost everyday, Ill see if I cant help out with any questions that pop up in the Epson sub forum if it relates to repairing or servicing them.

I don't have an Epson but that is a nice offer.
Thank you

wayne k
guam usa

SignosaurusRex

That right there tells me enough about Epson printers. Good to know, thanks!

mpn

Is head replacement possible on a 50670 by the end user? I have pulled them and flushed on the bench no problem, but do I need the service program to install a new head? The 50670 I have seems to go through heads way too fast, and it's been the blue channel every time.

Thanks for offering your knowledge, it's appreciated.

Bush Screws

mpn - the service program is required to input the head ID, reset the print head counter and perform any auto or manual adjustments for a print head replacement.

I recommend printing nozzle checks daily if the printer will not be used.

SignosaurusRex - I have a very large service area in and around the Philadelphia area. Where theres business theres Epson. Do you expect these large and complex machines to run flawlessly from day 1 until they reach their end of life?

mpn

mpn - the service program is required to input the head ID, reset the print head counter and perform any auto or manual adjustments for a print head replacement.

I recommend printing nozzle checks daily if the printer will not be used.

SignosaurusRex - I have a very large service area in and around the Philadelphia area. Where theres business theres Epson. Do you expect these large and complex machines to run flawlessly from day 1 until they reach their end of life?

Nozzle checks have nothing to do with it & they are done multiple times a day everyday. Printer is run a lot and as far as I'm concerned it's a faulty setup that they tested out on their customers. Some folks have great luck with theirs and that's fine, but this is our second 50670 that uses up heads like this. We have other Epsons and Rolands that are still plugging away yet this model is the exception.

I do appreciate your response & have a couple more questions for you.

What would happen if a new head was put in without the servprog?

Do you know if it's possible to get the program since Epson has moved on to a newer model?

Snydo

What would happen if a new head was put in without the servprog?

Do you know if it's possible to get the program since Epson has moved on to a newer model?

My guess is it wont print, or if it does it will likely be unusable.

Epson and Decision One should be required by law to release the serveprog software for out of warranty models.

geofff

If you fit a new head without the program it will print but will obviously use the previous head's ranking numbers so the ink delivery through the head will not be optimal and you would likely experience some degradation of quality.

I'm an independent Epson tech in the UK and I only work on the 30, 50 & 70 solvent range. We also run 2 x 50600 and just love them.

There are copies of the tech program available online for about $30 - One of my customers in Scotland sourced it. I'll find out where he got it and post later.

liv2b100

I have a question...I have a gs6000 that needed a new mother board. When the service tech fixed it - I think he had some kind of problem with the black ink delivery system - don't know if he disconnected it or something, he was vague and covered in black ink - but when he left the black was misfiring on both A & B test print. One is almost completely missing now and the other is fuzzy with several missing nozzles. Some days it gets better - some days it is worse... I know that I should have called service back to complain - but frankly they dragged the original problem out for 2 weeks and really soaked me on labor before they figured out the original problem of the motherboard. I really don't want to see them again. Do you know what this ink problem can be?

mpn

If you fit a new head without the program it will print but will obviously use the previous head's ranking numbers so the ink delivery through the head will not be optimal and you would likely experience some degradation of quality.

I'm an independent Epson tech in the UK and I only work on the 30, 50 & 70 solvent range. We also run 2 x 50600 and just love them.

There are copies of the tech program available online for about $30 - One of my customers in Scotland sourced it. I'll find out where he got it and post later.

Geoff, much appreciated. When the printer is up and running it puts out quality work. I think there are some ink & machine design issues on Epson's end that they stuck on the end users. Ink problems that wipe out heads (GS6000 black ink seems to take out heads) and take up reel issues they have no answers for when hard proof is shown to them.

I think they should release the servprog on models they have moved on from, but it seems they want to stick it to you for as long as possible.

Rongage

Owner - PRGPrinting.us
Thank you for your time sir!

Concerning a 7800 that I am trying to resurrect (from what else, a major head/ink delivery clog). I just put in new OEM cartridges and did a system fill. At this point, I am getting 0 ink through the system. Nothing on head check, nothing in the waste tank. What I am thinking at this point is filling some empty tanks I have here with Simple Green, having the system do a new fill and letting the Green sit in the ink system for few days.

Do you have any suggestions on what I should do to unclog this printer or am I on the right path at this point? Also, the ink counters on the 7800 - do they count based on what should have been delivered to the paper or is there some mechanism that counts actual ink flow?

Thanks!

Ron

Bush Screws

liv2b100 - your issue sounds like a failing pump cap or clogged CR Duct. When you do a cleaning, if the missing nozzles bounce around on the checks then it is a sign that the cap on the pump is not sealing properly due to ink buildup or stiff seals. Another symptom for random missing nozzles is insufficient ink flow due to a clogged CR Duct or stuck damper.

Rongage - you need to check ink flow in the lines going to the waste tank. What you described sounds like a bad pump cap or completely clogged print head. You can pull ink through the waste line with a syringe. The black trim cover on top, display panel, right ink door and right side cover must be removed.

datoshway

I've got a GS6000 thats printing broken nozzle checks. I've ran numerous cleanings and still can't get a complete grid. Do you think replacing all 8 dampers might solve this issue? The machine is about 5 years old.

Bush Screws

Datoshway - dampers sound like they are working. I would look at having the seals on the cap cleaned or the entire pump cap replaced.

I don't really see the GS6000 much but the last 2 I worked on I had to replace the steel carriage belt. They seem to build up dirt behind the belt and on the pullies causing too much tension and snapping the belt.

datoshway

Thanks so much. Would replacing the capping station be worth taking a stab?EPSON Pro GS6000 CAP HEAD ASSY / Cap Capping Top - 1530194

Datoshway - dampers sound like they are working. I would look at having the seals on the cap cleaned or the entire pump cap replaced.

I don't really see the GS6000 much but the last 2 I worked on I had to replace the steel carriage belt. They seem to build up dirt behind the belt and on the pullies causing too much tension and snapping the belt.

Bush Screws

That would be a good start, when your in there you can do a cleaning and watch the waste lines, if ink flows through them you know the pump is working but might not be sealing properly. Also check and clean the wiper blade too.

dsmskyline

I have a s50675, keep getting an error message about service part 2000. Can not find anything online or in the manual about it. Any help?

I like a few other havent been pleased with this machine. It's a year old and have already had both print heads replaced under warranty.

We have several 9900s and have used 9800 and 9600 models previously for proofing for our offset presses. They were workhorses, this one is a bit picky.

Bush Screws

dsmskyline - I couldnt find a service manual for the S50675, I looked at the service manual for the S50670 and Maintenance Request 2000 is the CR Scale near end of life.

Inspect your CR Scale for ink over spray buildup. You can remove it and clean it with Windex, when I replace CR Scales I have the new one and tape it to the one to be replaced and pull it through the CR Scale Sensor on the back of the Carriage Assembly. You will need the service program to reset the counter and remove the message from the printer display panel.

The DTG F2000 over spray is so bad for some reason that Epson designed it with an exhaust fan and filter on the left side to help keep the over spray off the CR Scale. I always remove and clean/replace the CR Scale when ever I service them. $20,000 a pop but they are awesome machines, some day...

As you can imagine these machines can be sensitive to temperature and humidity. All Epson wide format printers will develop their own "personality" with use. These are professional machines that dont like to sit unused. Some of my customers run the wheels off their printers, others once or twice a week. Last year I had just under 100 service calls and I can only think of 2 customers that said they were not happy with their Epson printer and would consider other brands for their next printer.

subarutex

Any idea what could be causing this?

2016-09-08 17.24.22.jpg

s30670