• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Immediate need for experienced associate... Columbia SC area.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
We have an immediate opening for an experienced sign shop associate. We are a progressive family owned very well established (since 2002) wide format printing and sign business. The position we have open will encompass many facets of the business but we are primarily looking for someone with proven graphic design experience. Job duties will vary from design work to answering the phone, helping clients, production and more. We are a different type of sign shop in that we do not restrict an employee to doing one thing only so you will not be stuck at a computer all day every day or just weeding vinyl every day.

Some experience in this business is required to be considered.

Please send a resume if:
• You have at least 1 year or more of experience in a sign / wide format graphics shop.
• You are skilled in programs like Illustrator, FlexiSign, Corel, Photoshop.
• You have some experience weeding, masking, laminating, vinyl cutting, etc..
• You are willing to learn and work in a fast paced environment.
• You have excellent spelling / sentence structure.
• You do well with customer service.
• You're reliable, punctual, and responsible.
• You've got problem solving skills.
• You can occasionally lift 50 or more pounds (loading the printer, receiving materials in).
• You have good basic math skills.
• You are able to occasionally stand for long periods of time.
• You have a valid driver's license.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Every job description I've ever read always includes "willing to work in a fast paced environment". Is there ever a slow paced environment? Lol

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
LOL - very true and good point! Need someone willing to sit around on their butt and play games for half their day.... :D

It is truly getting hard these days with the younger generation to try and get them to keep their stupid smart phone in their dang pocket. Last time I was hiring a couple of years ago I honest to god got resumes that shocked me. One listed "surfing the internet" as a skill. More than one listed Facebook as a skill, and not in the context of promoting a business on there.

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
LOL - very true and good point! Need someone willing to sit around on their butt and play games for half their day.... :D

It is truly getting hard these days with the younger generation to try and get them to keep their stupid smart phone in their dang pocket. Last time I was hiring a couple of years ago I honest to god got resumes that shocked me. One listed "surfing the internet" as a skill. More than one listed Facebook as a skill, and not in the context of promoting a business on there.

I'm not surprised.. I had to hire several people at a computer shop I worked at, and I got similar resumes... "Well, I know how to get on the internet on my phone, maybe I can apply to work on computers"

equippaint

Every job description I've ever read always includes "willing to work in a fast paced environment". Is there ever a slow paced environment? Lol
See them all of the time and they charge through the nose to make up for it. As for myself, Im a motivated self starter with a willingness to learn

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
As for myself, Im a motivated self starter with a willingness to learn

Amazing! Can you also make the Burger King job you had previously, sound like you performed tasks comparable to the CEO?

"Recived order information and input that data into computer touchscreen. Preformed accounting of payments and providing accurate change. Assisted customers with ensuring their requests were properly packaged. Preformed sanitary functions in the lavatory."

Big Rice Field

Electrical/Architectural Sign Designer
You folks, as business owners, must have issues with finding suitable people to work for you. It is fun to joke about the work ethics of millenials, but seriously folks, this is a help wanted ad for a business that needs a qualified graphics person.

Today's graphic potions in the sign industry require a high degree of computer literacy and time spend behind a computer screen and keyboard.. It is up to the computer user to have what is called a work ethic and not waste time playing solitare, inernet video games or cruising Facebook.

WildWestDesigns

Today's graphic potions in the sign industry require a high degree of computer literacy and time spend behind a computer screen and keyboard..

Unfortunately, in today's times, people seem to think that to qualify for the above, only need this:

It is up to the computer user to have what is called a work ethic and not waste time playing solitare, inernet video games or cruising Facebook.

TimToad

Well, at least now after all these judgements being made, anyone not fully qualified for the position and reading this thread will think REALLY hard before applying.

We and most shops have no issue with an employee using the internet during work hours to find clip art, images, supplies, to vectorize a logo on VectorMagic, Brandsofthe world, etc. If it results in better looking work or helps find a way for us to repair, service or fix something.

The age of the worker makes little difference in self-motivation or dedication to the tasks on hand. We've employed older, mature people who sleptwalked through their day to collect a check who wouldn't stretch beyond the strict confines of their job descriptions and We've had and currently have younger people who have advanced computer skills, zero sign experience but a real desire to show up on time every day, are VERY reliable and accept training and apply what they learn. One of our current employees also has a degree in computer science and in under a month has helped solve multiple computer issues that aided the company. He didn't hesitate to fix things or expect special compensation and was very grateful for the cash bonus and multiple meals we gave him as a reward for stretching beyond the limits of his job description.

Yesterday, this dreaded "millennial" employee left work after we put him through his paces pretty hard all week and went to our local craft brewery and hangout without our knowledge and bought my wife and I a beer then went home. When we arrived and received our gift, we both nearly broke out in tears from the gesture.

There are ages old, well read books on shelves of libraries that are just taking up space and there are brand new podcasts that can change your life and perspective.

equippaint

I have no problem with the younger crowd but its fun to stereotype and joke, even with them. They are no different than any of us at 18-19 yrs old even though we like to think they are. Many adults act the same way, they just have more experience with hiding bad behavior and have perfected their excuses over the course of time.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
You folks, as business owners, must have issues with finding suitable people to work for you. It is fun to joke about the work ethics of millenials, but seriously folks, this is a help wanted ad for a business that needs a qualified graphics person.

Today's graphic potions in the sign industry require a high degree of computer literacy and time spend behind a computer screen and keyboard.. It is up to the computer user to have what is called a work ethic and not waste time playing solitare, inernet video games or cruising Facebook.

Seriously, we're just chit chatting to help keep this man's thread visible and he gets more responses

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I and have perfected their excuses over the course of time.

Did you measure it wrong?

No, I measured it right, but since it was in the heat of the day I think it caused it to expand and the measuring tape simultaneously curved outward causing and amplification of said heat expansion and come to think about it, the tape measure may need a calibration adjustment...

Or..it was too windy and I said fuck it, it looks like 8'.