• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Import Error

Colin

I'm exporting a pile of miscellaneous vector files (clip art etc) from my old Inspire 1.6 software, and importing into CorelDraw 12.

Most of the EPS files import perfectly, but some won't import at all, and I get an "Import Error" message as follows:

"stackunderflow error reported by the PostScript Interpreter"

Any ideas on how to remedy this so that they will import? I don't know what it is about those files that it doesn't like.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
i have had that error before and couldn't figure it out. if i remember correctly i printed the file as a pdf and the vectors still held true when importing the pdf

JPGraphics

Open .eps files in Illustrator, save as .ai 9.0 compatibility.
That file should import smoothly in to Corel.

Colin

Open .eps files in Illustrator, save as .ai 9.0 compatibility.
That file should import smoothly in to Corel.

Actually, based on my past experience with Illy files, they need to be a Legacy version of 8 for Corel 12, but ya, thanks, I'll try that.

I guess I'd still like to know just what it is that's causing this error on those few files.

w2csa

I have had a similar problem from time to time.
Usually I can import the file in Flexi (Or some other program other than Corel) and then export it as an eps under a different name.

Colin

Hmmm, I'm getting an error message in Illy as well on those files.

I guess I'll Copy & Paste 'em, but they need to be increased in size or else they get jaggy.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Corel has two different import filters either of which can be manually selected when you import the file. One is labeled AI - Adobe Illustrator and the other is labeled EPS, PS, PRN - PostScript. Often one will work better than the other.

It's generally a bad idea to copy and paste vector files because the clipboard will convert them to WMFs in the process converting the curve data to lines and arcs and ruining the quality.

It's also possible that the problem files are Photoshop EPS rather than Illustrator EPS or may contain images which the filter may not handle well. One way to determine more is to open the EPS file with a text editor such as WordPad and see what's there. If it is a vector EPS, there will be a header which tells you what program and version created the file.

Here's an example:
PS-Adobe-3.0 EPSF-3.0
%%Creator: Adobe Illustrator(TM) 3.2
%%AI8_CreatorVersion: 8
%%For: (Fred Weiss) (Allied Computer Graphics, Inc.)
%%Title: (acg00341_Airless_Sprayer.eps)
%%CreationDate: (1/21/2006) (5:28 PM)

Colin

Corel has two different import filters either of which can be manually selected when you import the file. One is labeled AI - Adobe Illustrator and the other is labeled EPS, PS, PRN - PostScript. Often one will work better than the other.

Yes, I find that the only one that works in CorelDraw 12 is the one called "EPS Interpreted".

It's generally a bad idea to copy and paste vector files because the clipboard will convert them to WMFs in the process converting the curve data to lines and arcs and ruining the quality.

That is true, but I found that if I make the image fairly large, there is no quality loss. Small, and it does indeed get ugly.

It's also possible that the problem files are Photoshop EPS rather than Illustrator EPS or may contain images which the filter may not handle well.

As mentioned, they are being exported out of my old ScanVec Inspire 1.6, and most of 'em work perfectly, except for a few. There must be some wierd thing within the vectors that it doesn't like. Perhaps it's beziers vs arcs, or a mix of both which it doesn't like. It's odd.

Thanks Fred.

Colin

This has generated a new question:

Is it somehow possible to export an entire folder (containing my old SCV and sci files) as EPS files.........but in a "batch" fashion?

In Photoshop I can do a "batch organize" (resizing for example), so this would save loads of time.