• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Imposition or nesting calculator?

k_graham

For Quoting signage using roll materials it would be nice to have a calculator / spreadsheet

Item qty x length x width on roll material Number up equals square dimension for ink x cost equal subtotal

and provides length of material x cost of material subtotal

addition of subtotals for total.

I seem many references on google for imposition calculations but based on fixed size sheets, any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ken

bannertime

You need a formula to find the sqft price of material. So start with
HeighFeet*WidthFeet=RollSQft or (HeightInches*WidthInches)*.00694444=RollSqFt
Then you need to get your material square foot price total.
CostOfRoll/RollSqFt=MaterialSqFtPrice
Now you got your first roll setup. Got to create the boxes to type in the Height, Width, Qty of your job. Once you got that, you can create another section to pull it all together.
JobHeight*JobWidth=JobSqFt | JobSqft*Qty=TotalSqft
Take that total and use it to figure out your cost on material for the job.
TotalSqFt*MaterialSqftPrice=JobMaterialSqFtPrice
Take your average ink cost, probably like 20 cents, whaterver.
InkCost*TotalSqft=JobInkSqFtPrice
You now have a total for your cost of goods for material and ink on the job specs you entered. Now add in your markup.
((JobInkSqFtPrice+JobMaterialSqFtPrice)*Markup)+HourlyShopRate+Whatever=RetailPrice
Now divide by qty
RetailPrice/Qty=ItemPrice
Additionally you can check your "profit."
RetailPrice-(JobInkSqFtPrice+JobMaterialSqFtPrice)

There may or may not be errors, it's 5:20 so I'm going to Chili's. This is just some super simple formulas to help you build your own spreadsheet. It can get way more complicated than this if you're good with sheets. By the time I finish this, someone may have already shared their document anyway.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Flexi can do that.
It has both nesting and job costing that you can plug your numbers into.
You only need to set up your costs and profit margins, it will do all the calculations on whatever file is open without having to input any of the dimensions.
I have not used it but it is there

wayne k
guam usa

Christian @ 2CT Media

You need a formula to find the sqft price of material. So start with Then you need to get your material square foot price total. Now you got your first roll setup. Got to create the boxes to type in the Height, Width, Qty of your job. Once you got that, you can create another section to pull it all together. Take that total and use it to figure out your cost on material for the job. Take your average ink cost, probably like 20 cents, whaterver. You now have a total for your cost of goods for material and ink on the job specs you entered. Now add in your markup.
Now divide by qty Additionally you can check your "profit."

There may or may not be errors, it's 5:20 so I'm going to Chili's. This is just some super simple formulas to help you build your own spreadsheet. It can get way more complicated than this if you're good with sheets. By the time I finish this, someone may have already shared their document anyway.

This doesn't answer his question though. He is asking about imposition of a specified size on a specified material size.

OP: you would have to be able to write a macro to do this, I will mess with it over the weekend on one of my old calculators to see if I can give you a functioning tool.

bannertime

I thought about that for a bit, but for some reason it sounds like the same thing to me. I get that you're trying to nest everything together, but it should still work. At least get you very close.

The part I skipped was actually physically nesting everything into the design program or RIP and getting the final size. Flexi has an automatic nesting tool to do that, so I figure most other programs do too. Enter that final size into job width/height and you've got the answer for material and ink on a nested job.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Two entirely separate calculations. Given roll width, object height and width, margin size, and between object spacing size do the first, actual print area. Which will yield how many objects wide and long for this job. This is trivial to do on any spreadsheet.

The second, material, is even simpler given the job length calculated in the first step. Add a foot or so for leader/trailer. One might infer that you're chargining for material unrolled. That is the proper way.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Here is a basic worksheet to give you an idea on the formulas.

This should give you an idea of how to implement it without writing VBA or Macro code.

I also don't get why you disliked my post about what he said not answering your question, it didnt unless I missed something.

EDITED ATTACHMENT: Fixed a error in my code and Added a calculation.

Attachments

• Material Nesting Calculator.xls
    36 KB · Views: 382

bannertime

After looking at your sheet. I get what he/you meant now. Yeah, I just use Flexi's nesting feature to get all that info. Then place that info into my estimation sheet.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I'm bored today so here is another sheet with updates, cleaned up calcs and cost functions.

Attachments

• Material Nesting Calculator.xls
    37.5 KB · Views: 326

Warmoth

I was bored too... lol. Here's what I came up with. It doesn't support cost. I've got that covered with another, much better spreadsheet. But it will tell you how much material you'll need for a certain job.
This might be nice to have for a large job of magnets. To quickly tell you how much you're gonna need.

Job Length Calculator - Google Sheets

You'll need to save a copy to your drive before you can edit it. I've got a drop-down to choose between Inches, Feet and Yards for the results.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I was bored too... lol. Here's what I came up with. It doesn't support cost. I've got that covered with another, much better spreadsheet. But it will tell you how much material you'll need for a certain job.
This might be nice to have for a large job of magnets. To quickly tell you how much you're gonna need.

You'll need to save a copy to your drive before you can edit it. I've got a drop-down to choose between Inches, Feet and Yards for the results.

Getting all Graphical with yours... I was about just showing him raw data, yours is fancy.

bigben

wow! Thanks for that! I really like it.

Warmoth

Getting all Graphical with yours... I was about just showing him raw data, yours is fancy.

Haha, gotta keep it user friendly. I've got so many spreadsheets, I've got my own format I usually stick with. So even on something random like this I try to make it match

wow! Thanks for that! I really like it.

Thanks for letting me know! I've got a couple other spreadsheets that could be useful, but I'll need to modify them a bit to become shareable.

If someone wants me to modify this in some way, or needs something else. Let me know. I like a challenge.

Warmoth

It has been brought to my attention, if you download my "Google Sheets" spreadsheet and open it with Excel, there are some issues that completely break it.

Excel doesn't recognize the rounding syntax Google uses. To solve it you'll need to modify a few cells on a hidden page.

Go to the bottom "tab" area and right click on the "Search" tab. Select "unhide..." > "Internal"
This page will become unhidden.

Without quotation marks, change the following cell contents;
G3 "=ROUNDDOWN(Search!C3/C7, 0)"
G4 "=ROUNDDOWN(Search!C3/D7, 0)"
H3 "=ROUNDUP(Search!C8/G3, 0)"
H4 "=ROUNDUP(Search!C8/G4, 0)"

That should get it all working.

Warmoth

It sure would be nice if I could edit my posts...

I hate to triple post, but I think I've corrected the excel issue from my spreadsheet. Regardless, I've made changes to it that make my previous post irrelevant, and actually damaging to the sheets functionality if you were to download it in it's current state and make the changes listed above.

It's recommended to download the file from scratch and let me know if there's still a problem. Thanks.

k_graham

No, thats based on a sheet size of which a few are available on internet.

I was thinking in terms of roll so when a customer needs say 20 of something say 24x36 it would calculate roll inches required, ideally including dutch cuts and also based on ink usage square dimensions. ONe can get some odd size requests for long images just over 1/2 width of stock that pushes up material vs ink costs.

Thanks

Ken

Warmoth

Man this is so slick!! Thank you! :thumb::thumb:

Is there any chance you could make one for sheets for our flatbed? I'd be willing to pay you for your time if you like, and it doesn't have to be pretty.

If you're interested I could PM a couple of details.

Either way - thanks for this. I'm training someone on costing/material calculation and this will speed up the process tenfold.

Cheers!

Pat

You might like this one too / even more. I've included rudimentary cost calculation. You need to fill out some info on the 2nd page to make that happen. I think it's self-explanatory, but I could be wrong. Let me know if you need instruction.

Job Length Calculator + Cost - Google Sheets

And I'd take a swing at making something for you if you still needed. Just let me know

Offsign

You might like this one too / even more. I've included rudimentary cost calculation. You need to fill out some info on the 2nd page to make that happen. I think it's self-explanatory, but I could be wrong. Let me know if you need instruction.

Job Length Calculator + Cost - Google Sheets

And I'd take a swing at making something for you if you still needed. Just let me know

Hi I really like your lenght/cost calculator! I am from Czech and we use mm and cm instead of Imperial units. Can you edit the sheet for mm and cm please? Many people from Europe will appreciate that. Thank you so much, Jirka