• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Industrial Sewing Machine

BALLPARK

Hello Everyone...

I would like to purchase a new or used sewing machine for our banners. (Scrim 13-18 oz and Mesh 8-10 oz w/ 1" Nylon Strips.)

Which do you suggest from the following?

• Straight stitch.
  • Lockstitch.
  • Chainstitch. (I am leaning towards this after watching some videos.)

I would like a unit that has the table, motor, strong auto feeder, and the sewing machine all in one.

Any suggestions on brand/model would be great. I have found a lot of places that sell them new and used, but not sure which brand to go with at this time.

Leaning towards...
  1. Juki
  2. Singer
  3. Sailrite

What attachments should I get that will help with the hemming process of feeding the banner into the machine?

What thread and needle combo do you recommend for various weights listed above for banners and also awning materials?

If you have a unit for sale send me a pm with the info and price.

Thanks for your help!!!

WildWestDesigns

I would like to purchase a new or used sewing machine for our banners. (Scrim 13-18 oz and Mesh 8-10 oz w/ 1" Nylon Strips.)

Which do you suggest from the following?

• Straight stitch.
  • Lockstitch.
  • Chainstitch. (I am leaning towards this after watching some videos.)
Chainstitch unravels easily. It's the type of stitching used on my horse feed bags because of this very fact. This is what brought the lockstitch into play.

Leaning towards...
  1. Juki
  2. Singer
  3. Sailrite
Out of that list Juki. I actually prefer either commercial Brother or Pfaff machines myself.

What attachments should I get that will help with the hemming process of feeding the banner into the machine?

I learned to do this stuff without attachments. I find them to be cumbersome due to that.

Finding a machine with dual feed (or walking foot if you can't find dual feed) will help with feeding into the machine.

BALLPARK

Chainstitch unravels easily. It's the type of stitching used on my horse feed bags because of this very fact. This is what brought the lockstitch into play.

Out of that list Juki. I actually prefer either commercial Brother or Pfaff machines myself.

I learned to do this stuff without attachments. I find them to be cumbersome due to that.

Finding a machine with dual feed (or walking foot if you can't find dual feed) will help with feeding into the machine.

Thanks for the heads up on the Chainstitch! I will research the Lockstitch more for sure. I will look into the Brother & Pfaff brands as well. Which models for dual stitch do you recommend from Brother or Pfaff?

Thanks again for your input... I hate being a noob at anything and this is frustrating trying to find the right brand/model/style for our first machine. We just sub out to many banners as I only use banner tape on short term banners. I'm not a huge fan of the heat seal options as they take up so much space and we have very little of it.

WildWestDesigns

Which models for dual stitch do you recommend from Brother or Pfaff?

Pfaff has a lot more options. In fact, too many if you ask me.

I forgot to ask, are you looking for a single needle or twin needle?

I think most of the pfaff lockstitch units can be ordered in either single or twin, if you are looking at the twin needle Brother units, I'm pretty sure you'll have to stick with the T series.

phototec

I was right were you are the last two years, and I did a lot of research on this site and others.

Lockstitch is preferred for banners so the thread does not unravel like chain stitch, as mentioned It's better to get a machine with a compound walking foot to pull the heavy vinyl as the hem is being sewn.

There are single and double needle machines available, however the double needle machine cost about twice of the for a single needle (over $2000. I decided to go with a single needle machine, I have to sew around the banner twice, however I have more options with a single needle machine to sew other items in the future.

I recently purchased a Reliable 1245B (copy of a Pfaff 1245), it's a very heavy duty sewing machine made for sewing tents and leather. The sewing machine originally sold for $1799, I paid $800 for the machine used.

Try looking on Craigslist or ebay, for a good deal.

WildWestDesigns

There are single and double needle machines available, however the double needle machine cost about twice of the for a single needle (over $2000. I decided to go with a single needle machine, I have to sew around the banner twice, however I have more options with a single needle machine to sew other items in the future.

It used to be that you could get Schmetz twin needle for single needle machines. It's a needle with one shank, but has two needle ends. Now I think pretty much only home machines can get those. I could be wrong, Organ or one of the other brand of needles might sell them still, but I don't think Schmetz does for the commercial machines any more.

BALLPARK

Pfaff has a lot more options. In fact, too many if you ask me.

I forgot to ask, are you looking for a single needle or twin needle?

I think most of the pfaff lockstitch units can be ordered in either single or twin, if you are looking at the twin needle Brother units, I'm pretty sure you'll have to stick with the T series.

I will check out the T series as we would prefer to have twin needle (dual thread) for our applications.

I was right were you are the last two years, and I did a lot of research on this site and others.

Lockstitch is preferred for banners so the thread does not unravel like chain stitch, as mentioned It's better to get a machine with a compound walking foot to pull the heavy vinyl as the hem is being sewn.

I recently purchased a Reliable 1245B (copy of a Pfaff 1245), it's a very heavy duty sewing machine made for sewing tents and leather. The sewing machine originally sold for $1799, I paid $800 for the machine used.

Try looking on Craigslist or ebay, for a good deal.

Glad I found out the chain stitch unravels that would have been horrible to find out from a client. I hope to find a used unit this weekend online.

Thanks for the help fellas!

ChicagoGraphics

Look on some of these name brand websites, they offten have a slection for used or refub sweing machines to as well as new ones.

fozzie

Check out Hoffman Brothers in Chicago. They sell used industrial machines. We bought a double needle singer 300 about 10 years ago from them. It is chain stitch and we have never had a banner thread pull apart. Grommets keep the thread from unraveling.

WildWestDesigns

Thanks for the tip... I would prefer to buy a used unit in good shape and save a few bucks for other equipment needs.

Try to buy one local, make sure you hear them run. Make sure tensions are there, everything sounds right etc. Depending on the wide range of substrates that were being stitched up by the previous owner, tensions may be out of whack for what you are wanting them to be.

I'm always leary of buying used in general (don't know if you are getting another person's problem). Not everyone takes the same level of care with their machines as others.

It is chain stitch and we have never had a banner thread pull apart. Grommets keep the thread from unraveling.

You would have to be precise. I've seen some banners where they don't hit all the lines of stitching or they are inside the stitch lines.

I'm not trying to make it sound like the unravel at the slightest bit of resistance, if they did that, they wouldn't be much good even for stitching up 50lb feed bags. But when you go to picking at the ends, it doesn't take any time at all for it to come undone.