• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Information Needed.............

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We installed a Daktronics 28" x 7' double-sided full color LED sign for a customer.

I now need some help with the sign for some maintenance. Does anyone here have a good working phone number for Daktronics.... or is there a Daktronics representative on this forum whom could call or e-mail me ??

I've tried the normal channels and am constantly being put into a loop without getting help.

:thankyou:Gino

Attachments

• dak picture.jpg
    dak picture.jpg
    556.3 KB · Views: 189

Gino

Premium Subscriber
How 'bout that ??

I'm really only talking about the Daktronics portion.... the LED sign.

J Hill Designs

I always seem to get through easily on their posted 800 number...

now them actually knowing how to help me with the problem, thats a different matter

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay, if we have to go off track, so be it.

The top was new faces. Someone had thrown a rock though the top two faces only days after he signed off on the LED's. I think he had something to do with it, but when we offered a few new layouts, he declined them all and said put up what was there before. It was just a way to get some insurance money in my opinion, but he claimed two kids shot it out at like 3am and he happened to be there with his employee and saw it, but couldn't catch the kids.

So, no... we didn't design them, but were forced to re-do the old ones. Capisci ??

SD&F

Gino,
I would love to do something to earn your respect. Yes, I care. We carry and manufacture our own LED's, but is this something technical that I could possibly assist with or is this specific to only their LED's? Is this a hardware problem or a software problem?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hey, you have my respect !! Everyone on this site has my respect. It's just that some lose some from time to time and others know how to lose it overnight.

Anyway, it's a software problem vs. warranty. I'm trying not to badmouth anyone, but this problem for the customer has been on going since the first few months or so.

When it was installed, we did everything by the book and he had some communication problems which Daktronics said they would naturally fix. Without physically coming on site, they narrowed it down to a bad transmitter or receiver. They said we'd have to re-wire it, but to send the old [really new] units back and they'll fix them. We only pay shipping both ways. Wha ?? This was all still under full warranty and he had gotten the top end package at the time. Turns out it would also take 2 to 3 weeks plus shipping time to remedy. Customer was now very upset. He wanted it fixed and right away. So, I intervened again and asked if they could send some re-builts out while we sent these in. Nope, no can do. We only work on the actual units. Otherwise it was like an extra $1,400 or so.... about $700 each. This is still without anyone knowing what's really wrong. We're just supposed to take things apart, send them in... meanwhile the sign won't work... all while they just look at it.

Okay, now let's move forward. We proved it wasn't any of the transmitters or receivers and the guy still had this communication problem. This was a $290 cost to me and I ate it. Our customer says he has to re-boot and turn this on and that off and go through all kinds of dickin' around to change a message or even bring up a saved message.... on THEIR software. He's been for the most part going back and forth with them and NOW, they say, his warranty is gone and they won't talk to him and he's had this problem for about 5 or 6 years now.

I need to talk to an actual Daktronics representative and get to the bottom of this. In fact, the last time he called me, he was on record as being the sole individual as having the most phone calls into Daktronics ever. And all for the exact same problem.

This part of the sign package was known upfront.... was between Daktronics and my customer. We have nothing to do with their warranties, software or hardware. This is quite obviously either this guy is so stoopid he can't send a simple message,.... or the software is glitching big time.

So, again, I need to stop being hung up on or put into ridiculous phone loops and get through to someone who knows and cares about their company's reputation..... I generally give everyone the most benefit of the doubt, but I will blast them out if I need to and I'll do it to keep my customer satisfied.

So, anyone ?? :help

UFB Fabrication

Hey, you have my respect !! Everyone on this site has my respect. It's just that some lose some from time to time and others know how to lose it overnight.

Anyway, it's a software problem vs. warranty. I'm trying not to badmouth anyone, but this problem for the customer has been on going since the first few months or so.

When it was installed, we did everything by the book and he had some communication problems which Daktronics said they would naturally fix. Without physically coming on site, they narrowed it down to a bad transmitter or receiver. They said we'd have to re-wire it, but to send the old [really new] units back and they'll fix them. We only pay shipping both ways. Wha ?? This was all still under full warranty and he had gotten the top end package at the time. Turns out it would also take 2 to 3 weeks plus shipping time to remedy. Customer was now very upset. He wanted it fixed and right away. So, I intervened again and asked if they could send some re-builts out while we sent these in. Nope, no can do. We only work on the actual units. Otherwise it was like an extra $1,400 or so.... about $700 each. This is still without anyone knowing what's really wrong. We're just supposed to take things apart, send them in... meanwhile the sign won't work... all while they just look at it.

Okay, now let's move forward. We proved it wasn't any of the transmitters or receivers and the guy still had this communication problem. This was a $290 cost to me and I ate it. Our customer says he has to re-boot and turn this on and that off and go through all kinds of dickin' around to change a message or even bring up a saved message.... on THEIR software. He's been for the most part going back and forth with them and NOW, they say, his warranty is gone and they won't talk to him and he's had this problem for about 5 or 6 years now.

I need to talk to an actual Daktronics representative and get to the bottom of this. In fact, the last time he called me, he was on record as being the sole individual as having the most phone calls into Daktronics ever. And all for the exact same problem.

This part of the sign package was known upfront.... was between Daktronics and my customer. We have nothing to do with their warranties, software or hardware. This is quite obviously either this guy is so stoopid he can't send a simple message,.... or the software is glitching big time.

So, again, I need to stop being hung up on or put into ridiculous phone loops and get through to someone who knows and cares about their company's reputation..... I generally give everyone the most benefit of the doubt, but I will blast them out if I need to and I'll do it to keep my customer satisfied.

So, anyone ?? :help

I think DAK was on busy on the phone selling direct to a retail customer.

cgsigns_jamie

We've put up tons of Dak units... I'm extremely familiar with their product. Let me know if you have any questions.

I'll PM you my Reps contact information. His territory is the Southeast but he might at least be able to get you pointed in the right direction.

cgsigns_jamie

Have you tried using your laptop to communicate?

That should be step 1 anytime you have a communication issue.
I can't tell you how many times something in a customer's computer has caused a glitch in the software and wouldn't allow it to communicate.

I typically sell my customers a stand alone computer that I setup just to program the sign. I tell them not to install ANYTHING on it and try not to use the internet with that computer.

I had a recent install where the customer had a corrupt install of Venus1500 and it would send blank messages to the display. Tried reinstalling the software many times but still had the same issue. In the end he reinstalled Windows and Venus1500 and it all worked perfectly. (Fortunately this computer was an extra just for the sign so a windows reinstall was the quickest way to remedy the issue)

Mosh

From my dealings with them they are out for themselves....good luckj. I have several P.O.ed customers because of them so now I stear clear of all installs involving them, just saying.

skyhigh

Have you tried using your laptop to communicate?

That should be step 1 anytime you have a communication issue.
I can't tell you how many times something in a customer's computer has caused a glitch in the software and wouldn't allow it to communicate.

I typically sell my customers a stand alone computer that I setup just to program the sign. I tell them not to install ANYTHING on it and try not to use the internet with that computer.

The laptop was my first thought also. Get a fresh install of the software on another computer and see what happens.

An LED message center (with problems).....the gift that just keeps giving.

Sorry I can't be of much help with the Dak's.

Daktronics Inc

Gino and others:

I’m sorry to hear that you’re struggling to get support from Daktronics Customer Service or have had poor experiences in the past. I would like to help. I’m the Services Manager for the Commercial Reseller division of Daktronics.

I believe personally in the Daktronics commitment to our products, our customers, and our resellers and would like to help get this display running and resolve other concerns you have with Daktronics. I’m providing my direct email address here taylor.nilson@daktronics.com and would welcome your emails, and perhaps an opportunity to speak on the phone.

Thank you,
Taylor Nilson

Circleville Signs

Daktronics sucks balls. They will undercut you in 2 seconds flat if they think they can sell the unit directly to the end user. Happened to me at least twice that I am aware of, and probably more often that I just thought I lost the job.

Watchfire all the way!

Mike F

Gotta love how a few posts on here can usually get your issue addressed when you have a problem with a company or individual....

Circleville Signs

I'm willing to bet that Daktronics won't address Gino's problem at all. Seriously - i don't make a habit of bad-mouthing vendors, but those guys are El Terrible.