• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Infrared-translucent/transparent printable vinyl?

rootyb

(I've been a lurker for quite a while, and decided to finally create an account to do some research for a project I'm working on. Searching didn't turn up much on this, so I figured I'd just ask)

I'm looking for recommendations on making printed "stickers" (skins, really) for the front of the Oculus Rift VR headset. The headset, however, has near-infrared LEDs positioned across (underneath) its surface for positional tracking. Blocking this light would cause problems.

I can see a few options, material-wise:

1) Leave holes in the design where the LEDs are. This is my least-favorite idea, as it would mostly look dumb, but it would also be certain to not cause issues with the LED detection.

2) Perforated window vinyl. This seems like a fairly solid choice, though the designs would be viewed up-close, and the holes in perf vinyl are usually unnoticeable at a distance, but very obvious up-close. It seems unlikely that the perforated vinyl would interfere significantly with the LED detection.

3) Translucent, backlit-sign vinyl. This might be a good option (and would certainly look the best, I think), but would take some testing to whether the vinyl + ink block enough of the infrared light to cause detection problems.

4) Clear vinyl. This seems like an alright option, but having no experience with it, I'm assuming that a white undercoat would go below the ink, and I'm not sure how IR-translucent the white undercoat would be.

I'd also like the skins to be fairly removable (the surface in question is a matte-finish plastic. Smooth, but not glossy), as people probably won't be too keen to put permanent skins on their $600 headset.

I *think* that things that let visible light through will *usually* let enough IR/Near-IR through for my needs, but obviously, not always. I'm sure that I'll need to do a fair bit of testing to see what works and what doesn't, but before I go out and stock up on tons of different samples (if I can even get appropriate samples), I figured I'd check with the fount of knowledge that is Signs101.

FYI: Experience-wise, I've done some decal work, and have a buddy that does signs/decals. He has an epson (iirc) 20" printer whose model number escapes me right now. He hasn't done anything with backlit or perf vinyl, though, and nothing that depends on IR translucency.

Thanks for any insight or experience you can share!

J Hill Designs

I would think ANYTHING past completely clear would block the IR enough to cause issues.

holes cut in the template would be my preferred method

Andriy

Cut out probably is the best idea as J Hill pointed out.

My speculation is that IR tends to bounce around from shiny/reflective type of materials (glass/acrylic) and vinyl might be glossy enough to mess up the traction that it uses.

But obviously would have to try and see, might work just fine for what the sensors are used.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I would think ANYTHING past completely clear would block the IR enough to cause issues.

holes cut in the template would be my preferred method

This^^^

A primer coat would be (basically) doubling the amount of ink you put down. Your best option really is to either leave an unprinted area on the clear media, or cut holes in opaque media.
As far as what to use, I am a big fan of the Glass Adhere material. Sticks well, leaves no residue. If you were to use it, you would have to cut holes. Clear static cling would also work.

Sounds to me like those sensors are what tells the monitor where your pointed, angle, height, position in the room, tilt to your head. Any little changes to that would mess up way everythings setup. I would go with holes, not perf. Perf you will hardly be able to tell what you put on there.

At the same time I wouldn't be so sure that the IR beam coming to them or from them is going directly perpendicular to the glass. If your head was turned to the exterior sensor. The beam would most likely need to travel horizontal almost to the glass of the headset. So then it wouldn't be going directly out the hole. Only way you will know for sure is trial and error.

rootyb

Thanks for the input!

So, the way that the LEDs are set up, they're basically just little spot beacons on the unit. Some diffusion shouldn't cause significant tracking errors. In fact, the sides of the unit are black cloth, with the LEDs shining through the cloth. The layout of these LEDs is then detected by, effectively, a high-quality IR webcam (sometimes two or more, if you have the hardware). So really, as long as the LED light is visible through the material (, the signal of each LED shouldn't be changed significantly, even by the diffusion of material on top, and the camera should be able to detect the relative layout

There's actually a pretty good example in this video on how to design your own faceplace cover (to avoid covering the LEDs):

[video=youtube;aqBnf36zIZg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqBnf36zIZg[/video]

You can see that they shine through the baking paper pretty clearly, even when it isn't stuck closely onto the unit.

Now, I *don't* think that trying to shine IR through vinyl would work on something like the HTC Vive, which operates largely in reverse, with sensors on the headset, and IR emitters placed in the room.

Guess I'll have to just get some samples and test. :)

GASouthPaw, I'll take a look at Glass Adhere.

Thanks, again!