• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Ink Cartridge Age Question

player

I have been having new deflection issues. I just figured out how to date the carts and mine are from 2013 / 2014.

I have ordered new replacements.

Are these so old I will have clogging and deflection issues from them?

If so should I do a pump up with cleaning carts?

should I Change out all the dampers?

Any experience or suggestions?

The printer is a VP-540i.

Joe House

If you're having problems, then I would flush the lines (at least the ones you're having problems with) with cleaning cartridges. Pull with a syringe above the damper alternating cleaning fluid and air till the fluid comes through clean and replace the damper. Hopefully this will get you a clean channel.
Solvent inks generally carry an 18 month life after manufacture date. You can fudge that a little but doubling that is probably risky.

Good luck.
Joe

player

If you're having problems, then I would flush the lines (at least the ones you're having problems with) with cleaning cartridges. Pull with a syringe above the damper alternating cleaning fluid and air till the fluid comes through clean and replace the damper. Hopefully this will get you a clean channel.
Solvent inks generally carry an 18 month life after manufacture date. You can fudge that a little but doubling that is probably risky.

Good luck.
Joe
So I need to toss all the inks? That sucks.
How do I alternate cleaner and air? Do you mean every 4" pull out the cart and have 4" of air?

Also can I use generic cleaner over Roland? For half the money they sell 2 times the fluid...

Joe House

So I need to toss all the inks? That sucks.
How do I alternate cleaner and air? Do you mean every 4" pull out the cart and have 4" of air?
Yup, that's how you do it.
If you start introducing variables like "generic" options over OEM fluids, you're playing a game of roulette. If you have time to experiment, you can use whatever you want. I wouldn't.

Last edited:

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Yup, that's how you do it.
If you stay introducing variables like "generic" options over OEM fluids, you're playing a game of roulette. If you have time to experiment, you can use whatever you want. I wouldn't.

Exactly. We always recommend our customer use OEM cleaning solution because you literally can't go wrong with it. I have experimented with it and a lot of time the ink coagulates with non matching solutions.