• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ink levels not reporting in VersaWorks

tomlongmacon

Concerning Roland SolJet XC-540

Lately we have had problems with the magenta and light cyan ink levels reporting zero in VersaWorks. It's not affecting the prints, but we have had issues with both of those heads (replaced dampers, captops and cleaned heads as per tech guys advice). Anyone else had this issue and if so, how did you overcome it? I don't know how the ink level reporting works, so don't know where to start troubleshooting. I had wondered if it might be something with the headboard.

Thanks in advance...

TL

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
My ink level reporting stopped a long time ago. Seems one of the Versaworks upgrades rendered that useless. The machine is wrong as well as the display in Versaworks. I have to just pull out the carts now and then and 'feel' how much is left.

Ragnabrok

there is no physical measurement on the cartridge. the printer tracks how much was fired through the head, and guesses how much was used for cleaning to give a rough idea of how much is in a cart. If you pulled a full cart, removed 90% of the ink with a syringe and put it back in, it will report it as full. The levels from the printer are always a rough idea, more or less to know when to order replacements.

player

there is no physical measurement on the cartridge. the printer tracks how much was fired through the head, and guesses how much was used for cleaning to give a rough idea of how much is in a cart. If you pulled a full cart, removed 90% of the ink with a syringe and put it back in, it will report it as full. The levels from the printer are always a rough idea, more or less to know when to order replacements.

When it stops printing until you change the cart is because of the tabs? How does that work?

Ragnabrok

When it stops printing until you change the cart is because of the tabs? How does that work?

Inside the ink cartridge is a springy plastic tab held back by the bag the ink is actually in. when the bag is empty, the tab is able to reach outside the cartridge an actually press a button inside the cartridge bay to signal the ink is empty. If you look at an empty cartridge the way it is inserted into the machine, the tab is near the front on the lower right side.