• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ink Rubbing off Fabric Transfers

Hey all,

We have been using the same polyester material for printing popup tents for a few years. Recently we ordered more of the same material, with the only difference being we opted to add the fire resistant coating because the original stuff barely didn't pass the burn test. We had been printing direct to fabric on this material.

On the new batch, with the same profile and heat press settings, I cannot get the ink to set properly in the fabric. The prints look great, but if you rub the print, it leaves a mark. I tried reprofiling and backing off on the ink limits. We tried our transfer paper profile which didn't work, and then I reprofiled that and backed way off on the ink limits. Nothing worked. Next I raised the temp on the heat press to the max (220c) and dropped the speed to the lowest setting and transferred with my new profiles which still didn't work. The prints look great coming off the press, but I can still rub the print with my finger and leave marks behind, which is not something that should happen on dye sub or direct disperse fabric. What's really weird about this whole thing is that you can see the marks on the print after you rub it, but if you rub it with another piece of white fabric, you don't see ink on the fabric you rubbed it with. I have tried different printers as well.

At this point my assumption is the fire restistant coating is keeping the ink from properly setting in the fabric. My only recourse at the moment is to try to reduce the ink limits and restrictions on the profile even more, but I'm already at the point where my gamut will start to suck if I go much lower.

Has anyone encountered anything like this before? Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. This is my first post. Apologies if I messed something up.

Thank you.

ams

All fabrics used in public spaces require a specific level of fire retardancy. While some fabrics are inherently flame retardant, others require treatment for flame resistance. Digital printing complicates the situation because certain inks can change the fire retardant qualities of materials. Digital printing may make inherently fire retardant fabrics flammable. In these cases, clients have the following options:

• Treat fabrics after they are printed.
  • Utilize inks that are compatible with particular inherently flame retardant fabrics

Andy_warp

Solvent or aqueous ink? I have had issues with drying, but at the printer, not after it is heat set. The only material I direct print is backlit fabric.
I have to run my printer at half speed or the ink will impose onto the backside of the take up...leaving an image ghost on the backside which is visible once lit.

Maybe go with the paper transfer route on this stock?

I see you're in Arizona, so I doubt it is humidity which is a concern here in Seattle for us.
We wrap each stock with shrink wrap while it is not in use.

If we don't we run into all sorts of issues including runabilty and quality.