• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ink Scratches Really Easy

morty87

Hello, I am using a mutoh 1624 and have been using the icc profiles that i've downloaded from the mutoh site. Alot of the profiles though are for different makers of media that I currently use. I've found with my system that when I have the heat to high on the pre (anything over 36) an platen (anything over 40) the paper bunches between the rollers. So each profile I use I go in an lower the heat settings. to 36-38 and the dryer I keep at 50.

The media (photo paper gloss or matte and banners (13oz) though picks up scratches very very easily. Is this due to the heat being to low or is there something else I may be missing or doing wrong? I typically print at 720x720 and use either 2 or 4 pass.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any help on finding different icc profiles for the mutoh 1624 would also be a help. Thank you

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
What exactly do you mean by 'scratches easily'? As compared to what? Unlaminated ink will scratch but by what standard does it scratch easily?

morty87

What exactly do you mean by 'scratches easily'? As compared to what? Unlaminated ink will scratch but by what standard does it scratch easily?
Hello, it will scratch if it brushes against doorway, if it bends or folds over. Just seems really delicate. Wasnt sure if my heat not being high enough isnt letting the ink penetrate deep enough? Maybe I am being to critical?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Low heat will cause scratch resistance to go down due to the fact that the ink can't bite into the vinyl; as well when it is cold. You want it to be as high as possible without buckling. Make sure your vacuum is set to the highest setting to make the vinyl sucks down onto the platen better. Keep in mind that when you aren't printing and the vinyl is in the printer it will buckle just from being cooked in the same spot for so long. If you move the media forward before the print, a lot of the time it should go away and not come back while printing. So if the buckling is happening at the beginning of the print, that is fairly normal and if you use the Prevent Stick feature it will move the media back and forth for you before every print.