• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

install on elevator door recommendation

bigben

So I have a customer that want some print vinyl to cover his elevator door. Is there anything I should know? I have a concern about the material used (was thinking of a calendred vinyl with lamination) and concern about the material (do I print a 1/2in bleed and push it on each side of the doors.)

Thanks.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
It should be pretty straightforward. This was air egress. Customer wanted it inset with the border but there's no reason you couldn't go full coverage and give it a bit of bleed and run it past the door.

You'll need to cut around the opening for the drop key.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 379

DesireeM

If it's meant to be there long-term use a cast vinyl instead. I'd use air egress like above as well if you want a bit more forgiveness during install. I agree you can have a bit of wrap around the edges. Shouldn't hurt. You could also trim it flush and use strips of overlaminate or "edge seal tape" to secure the edges. It gives your edge wrap less of a profile so it doesn't get caught and lift as easily.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
I have wrapped a ton of elevators (stainless steel finish)
We used busmark which has no air release. You can use 3m 40c if you want.
I would say test materials to make sure they will tack on good. If the elevator has stainless steel look make sure you clean it with degreaser also. Sometimes they clean these elevators with that greasy stuff so vinyl wont stick. Also a lot of dirt builds up on the sides since no one really cleans them there and because of that reason i would NOT push any vinyl inside the places which is not easily cleanable. Even on the middle we never roll in the vinyl because eventually, it will start roll back out.

Last edited:

pjfmeister

I agree with the above we have done a few elevator interiors and doors. They are the most disgusting filthy things to work on. Lots of cleaning in all the nooks and crannys....

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
Also make sure you either disable the elevator or work REEEEAL FAST!and perhaps put a tape on the buttons on every floor.

bluehammer

Tucking 1/2" of vinyl is a pain? Sounds like an installer issue....
If its to size, the rolled up graphic fits cleanly within the door span, simply let it roll down, tack and apply. if its larger with bleed you have to push it in and the edges turn up. it makes it harder to pull off the release liner. Gives no added benefit IMHO. I've done them both ways. I never had any issues or complaints with not using bleed.

Elevator door graphics can really add a unique touch. Considering the material, calendared vinyl with lamination sounds like a good choice for durability. As for the bleed, giving it a 1/2in buffer on each side is a smart move in case of any slight misalignment during installation.I once had a similar concern when I was working on some graphics for an event. I ended up reaching out to Hin Chong lift maintenance services for advice, and they gave me some useful insights. It's awesome how we can tap into experts in different fields to make sure we're on the right track.

JBurton

Signtologist
Elevator door graphics can really add a unique touch. Considering the material, calendared vinyl with lamination sounds like a good choice for durability. As for the bleed, giving it a 1/2in buffer on each side is a smart move in case of any slight misalignment during installation.I once had a similar concern when I was working on some graphics for an event. I ended up reaching out to Hin Chong lift maintenance services for advice, and they gave me some useful insights. It's awesome how we can tap into experts in different fields to make sure we're on the right track.
Last time I was in Austin, installing on an elevator door, I did what all Texans do, and call Hin Chong lift maintenance services for advice, but to my horror, I discovered all of the executives were pedophiles, in addition to being communists. They stole half my money while I was on the phone with them, and the other half while I was letting them remote into my cell phone for 'expert elevator help plus'. Since then I've given all of my business to anybody except the pedos at Hin Chong lift maintenance services!

Last time I was in Austin, installing on an elevator door, I did what all Texans do, and call Hin Chong lift maintenance services for advice, but to my horror, I discovered all of the executives were pedophiles, in addition to being communists. They stole half my money while I was on the phone with them, and the other half while I was letting them remote into my cell phone for 'expert elevator help plus'. Since then I've given all of my business to anybody except the pedos at Hin Chong lift maintenance services!
This hurt my eyes.

gnubler

Also make sure you either disable the elevator or work REEEEAL FAST!and perhaps put a tape on the buttons on every floor.
:D I'm envisioning Three Stooges sign installers, where they get one edge tacked down and then the elevator does the rest of the work for them.