• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Install on Gas Pumps

Mastermatt87

A local gas station that is right by our shop called to see if we could install the graphics on their gas pumps. Matt went by this morning to get more details. They hired another company from our neighboring state to come out and install their graphics, the company did half and never came back to finish. Matt is thinking these are going to be difficult to install. Including taking off side panels to apply the vinyl (which they already have). We live in South Mississippi, our pricing market is pretty low. I was thinking maybe charge $75 a pump. With the hope of it not taking any more than an hour to do each pump. It's 10 pumps. What do you guys think would be a reasonable price and have any of you done a gas station Pump before, if so what is the complexity level we are looking at?
9acc8f64850d00a72263eeb6ac5c9b8f.jpg
478bf89b1a7571702a6911a224f9f6ac.jpg
2b7f781db49a5f2fcd6db317e3c2b1fa.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

bannertime

If you can keep your shop open on $75 an hour, then great, but if it'll you hurt more to do that, then don't do it. If they are supplying the graphics, give them a high estimate at ## hours but leave the contract open for additional time. People need to understand that you're offering a service, not a product. Also, get a down payment, the other company may have had trouble collecting payment or something.

Last edited:

ikarasu

$75 seems pretty low. How many graphics are going to be applied? I'd think it'll take more than an hour to do a full install...

If its everything pictured, you'll have to install and cut around the 3 pump buttons / prices, Do the lower half.. and it looks like 5, maybe 6 other decals? Getting them put in the right spot and making sure theyre straight... Seems like a job that'll take longer than an hour, unless your rushing it.

We do a lot of CNG pumps (Like gas pumps, a little different), Usually it takes us 1-2 hours for a full pump, but that's after doing dozens of them.

Last edited:

d fleming

It's going to take longer than you think. Other poster is most likely correct. Last guy most likely was having trouble with being paid for work. Gas station work has always had surprises for us. Individual owners are a pain in the rear and changeovers are very common. The Kangaroo Fuel Station/Convenience store/truck stop closest to shop has changed branding three times in four years. I helped them once. There are about six layers or more of wrap around their pumps and store on rooftop panels. Wanted new 3m wrap on all with just a wipe and stick adding to layers and a guarantee on workmanship. Funny people.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
I'd figure 2 hours per pump if you are familiar with this type of install. Then state on your quote that install time is an estimated amount of time and will be billed accordingly. This way you are covered if it takes you longer than the time you estimate. Once you have done 2 or 3 you should have a handle on the time it takes to install and then can communicate with you client.

You are bailing them out so get paid!!!!

1/2 down with final payment by check or credit card when install is finished. No exceptions.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Judging by the price of your gas down there, I can understand why you wanna go in so cheap, but don't sell yourself short. As already mentioned, this is a service and you are most likely bailing them out of some existing problem. Not knowing exactly what is going on, it's a little hard to give you an estimate, but make sure you also tell them, if there are any malfunctions, they are responsible for replacing the graphics, not you physically or monetarily.

Mastermatt87

Thanks everyone! This has really helped! I'll let yall know how it turns out!

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

boxerbay

my main concern is what material is it printed on? that will help tell you how much time it will take to install.
if they used a good air egress vinyl maybe less time.
if they used hi-tack no airegress maybe more time to install.
if they used cheap no name vinyl with no lamination - major headache. many call backs for corners lifting.
total nightmare walk away for the job like the last installer.