• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installations in the City...Union?

Brendan

I have the potential for a nice little job just outside of the city. My question is....how do you deal with the union shops? Are there unions that you would need to hire, join, pay? Not sure how that works but definitely want to walk the right path. Anyone with experience here?
Thanks!

ddarlak

Go Bills!
What in your posts gives "us" any indication that you need any type of union accreditation whatsoever?

the fact that it is just outside a city???

I guess I just don't understand the question....

Billct2

Yep, not sure what you mean? The only time we have any questions about unions is when we're doing a job in a facility that has unionized workers that could object to work being outsourced. But in 40 years I've only had that happen a couple times.

Brendan

Sorry guys...guess what I was thinking and what came out are two different things.
The facility is a union facility and Im not sure how that works as far as installation. This is mostly printed/cut, wall and glass vinyl. Manhattan.

DirtyD

From my experience, YOU do not need anything to do work in a union facility, it just might **** of the union guys and they will cry to momma and strike it...

I could be wrong but I when I installed I did not not need special paperwork or permits on hand, Alsdo sometimes it it is government/city stuff sometimes they have a minimum pay and that grants your employees that union type pay, I had that once and I got 26hr.. it was a nice change

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you/your workers are not union, then you'll have to find a time to do it when union workers are not on site, or they'll walk off the job and you'll get in a lotta trouble for causing a ruckus.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Sorry guys...guess what I was thinking and what came out are two different things.
The facility is a union facility and Im not sure how that works as far as installation. This is mostly printed/cut, wall and glass vinyl. Manhattan.

The facility would have something in place for that... the
few times I have dealt with that, it required union installers,
others were okay with prevailing wage.

Brendan

Thanks all....obviously this could change the whole cost model so I dont want to screw that up. Ive got plenty of union experience but that was in the transport industry...so much fun.

CanuckSigns

We do installs all the time in hospitals & Universities where the staff are unionized, never had an issue, I think they classify us as "specialized labour" so the union is ok with it since they don't have a "sign installer" on staff.

DirtyD

I remember I could install the stuff but no electric wiring just run the seal tight inside and seal it of course then "they" will hook everything up

ddarlak

Go Bills!
would never even enter my thoughts...someone calls me for a job, I go do it...

some union but hole has a problem, he can....have a problem.....

I was going to say isn't this what prevailing wage is for. When a city or company gives a union job to a non-union company they must pay prevailing wages or basically union wages. This makes the union workers feel like they aren't getting screwed over because they aren't getting under-cut. Not sure who decides what the PW is.

drhhgraphics

I have done a lot of work for trade shows, bus yards and movie sets that require a union worker to be on site with you. Like a babysitter. Sometimes they provide a worker at no cost or will charge you a fee. I would just ask what their policy is.

LeLuni

If it's a trade show venue, then that's trouble, especially in NYC.

Other than that, you should be fine.

OldPaint

DOES THE UNION HAVE...... sign installers as clients? if not.......then nobody would have a problem.
and you being in MAINE....... which is a right to work state.........i never had problems with unions when i lived there and i was in the building trades.........in arrostook county))))