• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installing 6'x4' PVC sheets on a painted gymnasium wall...

HWPhilly

Hi guys, wanted some suggestions so came to the one spot where I trust the advice. I'm going to be installing 6'x4' PVC school championship signs on a painted concrete gymnasium wall (like the banner flags you always see in gyms) and wondering what the best way to do it would be. Double-side foam tape w/ silicone? Any other suggestions? They are going to really high up, so I really want to make sure they are secure to avoid any safety issues, etc. Curious to what yall think. Thanks!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Regardless if the wall is concrete, wood or metal..... you'll be gluing PVC to paint. Not really a good idea.

With two completely different compositions, you should use physical fasteners to be safe. With the kinda traffic a gym gets, you don't want to be named on a lawsuit if it falls. Make the holes oblong for expansion and contraction and find a nice decorative screw which everyone agrees on.

Last edited:

Billct2

I agree, some simple masonry anchors and screws. We would use brass or stainless screws with matching finish washers. It's a good idea that they can be easily removed for changes or when the wall gets painted.

HWPhilly

Awesome...I agree. Thanks for your advice! I was nervous over hanging them so high without screwing them in, but was just trying to avoid using hardware. But that is why I asked yall on here instead of just trusting myself! I'd rather be safe about it. I'm leaning toward the PVC because I think I like I like the rigidness of it more than using vinyl banners.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you're using 6mm, it might stay somewhat rigid, but once you go much over 2' x 3' or 4', you start getting waviness. If you want flat, go with gatorboard. That'll remain 100% flat, unless the sprinkler system goes on, but then more than just the signs will get ruined.

HWPhilly

Really? It's going to have waves/ripples in it (the 6mm)? Hmmm, I thought it'd lay flat. You think gatorboard would withstand moisture better than PVC? Honestly, I haven't really used gatorboard much, but I'm totally open to other ideas/options if it makes better sense.

Joe House

Really? It's going to have waves/ripples in it (the 6mm)? Hmmm, I thought it'd lay flat. You think gatorboard would withstand moisture better than PVC? Honestly, I haven't really used gatorboard much, but I'm totally open to other ideas/options if it makes better sense.

There's much more than moisture that can affect the flatness of a board. PVC boards are notorious for thermal expansion and contraction. Gatorboard, bening a laminated product is much more dimensionally stable. Not to mention lighter in case the afore mentioned and initial inquiry of this thread, fastening solutions, gives way. If it's going indoors, there's less chance that it will expand and contract than if it were out in the weather though. And as Gino implied, the larger you go with PVC, the greater the expansion and contraction that you have to deal with.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Most gyms are basically climate controlled for the most part. They weren't in my day, but they are nowadays. Whenever you make a permanent instal with any kinda plastic, PVC or some similar products, it wants to ever-so-slightly buckle from one fastener to the next. That's the nature of that kinda product. Unless you make a frame for it and have supports out the wazoo on the backside, you're likely to see it. Will it matter ?? That's up to you... or your customer. We make 100's of them a year for one customer alone. 3mm PVC 24" x 47" and we put them on with double sided tape and silicone. They don't mind the waviness. Any little yux in the wall will telegraph right through and to me it looks lousy, but PVC is a whole lot cheaper than gator. Their call.

Now, you might say, why am I doing it with tape and silicone and telling you to use screws ?? Mine are not even 8 sq ft at 3mm Yours are 24 sq ft and twice the thickness. Therefore you have at least 6 times the weight..... on a wall where kids and game-goers are all the time. Possible nightmare should something on your end fail. You need physical fasteners.

HWPhilly

Gotcha. Yeah I totally agree. PVC is definitely out of the equation for us on this job. Might have to consider gator board or just going with vinyl banner - what I originally didn't want to use. I'm just glad I decided to post this on here so I didn't end up making a mess of this job!

Moze

Precision Sign Services
If they're going to be 'really high up', no one will notice the fasteners if you color match them. I would get some Spax #10 x 3" screws for 'multi-material' from Home Depot, paint the heads to match something near the four corners of the boards, and install with one screw per corner.

Bring a template (cardboard, paper, etc.), hang it on the wall, drill your holes, hang your boards. Easy install, easy removal.

d3fbba9f-ecff-4479-8d83-5e538b249d6e_1000.jpg