• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installing Avery Etchmark

VinylLabs.com

Is Avery etchmark a material that needs to be installed wet or dry? what is the best way?

I need to install this material on 5 windows, 50" high. the roll is 48" wide so I was just going to roll it across the window, but this material is a LOT thinner then I expected, and flops all over the place. I cut a 4x3 section to fit into the window between the sides, but since it was a bit wider then the window, the top portion was not coming off properly.

I went over hto his shop to do a test fit, but it did not work out well at all. ALL other jobs I've done have been smaller, these windows are 33"x48" and recessed into a frame (which is dirty, and has to be cleaned before)

if someone has some tips to install it properly, it would be appreciated. I really messed up the test one, because the right half I tried dry, and the left half I tried wet. I had first tried to hinge it from the top, but the sides folded over when I tried to roll it up.

Should I cut the vinyl exactly to size? or should I cut it larger then the window, then squeegee it into the corners and cut?

Attachments

• IMAG0099.jpg
    IMAG0099.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 185
  • IMAG0101.jpg
    IMAG0101.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 142
  • IMAG0102.jpg
    IMAG0102.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 165

jasonx

Firstly get whoever to clean that shit up. It needs to be spotless.

Apply the etch wet. Peel it right off the backing against the window then spray the back of the etch and the glass and float it off then expel the water from under the vinyl.

VinylLabs.com

yes, it will be spotless. I pointed out all the areas he needs to clean and told him I will be spending an additional 15 minutes per window to clean it better. at first those windows were horrible! you think that is bad? the original owner had painted the windows, then glued styrofome to them!

What do you mean by float it off?

jasonx

If you drop a few drops of baby shampoo into your water mix it will let the vinyl slide around on the window. That's what I meant by floating. Or you can use an application fluid.

brdesign

apply very wet, trim to fit window after install in case the window frame is not square. I use a squeegee with a piece of loop velco covering the edge so I don't tear the etchmark. If you need to use transfer tape for a cut out design or just to add thickness for a large sheet, apply the transfer tape with a laminator because the slightest wrinkle or bubble in the tape will leave a mark in the final install. Also make sure the application fluid is completely dry before you even think about removing the the transfer tape, arrange to take a lunch break or just go back the next day if you have to.