• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installing banners on Stucco-foam

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Forgive me if this is in the wrong area..

When Installing a banner on the fake stucco-foam stuff, do you puncture it and install the banner or hang it some other way without puncturing? If you mount it to the stucco what do you use? Do you go deep enough to hit the wood or whatever is behind it?

Thanks!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Is this outside in the elements or inside, like on a mall wall ??

Regardless, you need to know what's behind the stucco and how deep/far in. You eventually must anchor off to something substantially strong, especially if outside.

If you are doing the instal, make sure you have proper and ample insurance, in case anything goes wrong. Should you not handle it correctly, it could prove disastrous for a novice.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Then, you need to know what exactly is back there and where. If prior arrangements were not made, you could put quite a few holes in the wall, til you find a stud or something to hold onto. Merely going into the stucco will never suffice for outside in elements. If the banner is not secured entirely, it could easily let go, flap itself to death and then blow away causing accidents or worse in just a small wind.

Many years ago, we had to replace a banner similar to what you are doing, but this one was 6' x 24'. The old one was not anchored down properly and started to let go. The idiot owner of the company, never called anyone to fix it and it eventually let go and when it did, it sailed about 300' away across a highway, causing lotsa havoc. Take heed, even a small banner can do this and go sailing before it lands somewhere it shouldn't.

boxerbay

I wouldnt touch the foam. A while back I was painting a house and the helper while climbing the ladder put his foot on what everyone thought was a solid piece of sculpted stone trim around window. well the corner chunk ripped off. Major hassle.

Billct2

and to add to what Gino said, obviously you will be punching holes in a wall that isn't supposed to have holes in it, and there is a good chance the damage could be significant.
We have done everything from screws into the sheathing behind it, toggle bolts when the subsurface is too deep for regular fasteners, and sometimes we hit the metal studs