• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installing Flat letters with tape & Adhesive

Stallion Signs

Hey all

Need to install some acrylic lettering on a flat wall with double sided tape and adhesive.

I’ve tried a few different ways, but none of it felt “right” to me even though the result was good.
Just posting to see what Techniques other installers use, something I may find easier/quicker maybe. My main question is with the pattern and do othera use half patterns, edges only pattern or....?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Almost all of the time, we generate our own patterns. We use the entire letter. That way, it's perfectly straight, up & down. I think pinning them is the best way. You didn't mention their thickness, size or if these are interior or exterior.

Billct2

Pattern depends on the job. But a lot of time we do a pattern of just 1/2"-3/4" bottom of letters and keep tape out of that area. You can apply right over it and slide it off afterwards.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I just got some gemini letters for an interior non-stud job. The use to do just the bottom part but this order they sent the whole letter height in cut-out cardboard. This should be much easier!

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Stencil-cut patterns from coroplast, cardboard, etc. are the easiest for installing tape-mounted letters. You typically need to request them if you're having the letters manufactured by others, otherwise you'll probably receive an outline pattern drawn on a paper pattern. If I get those, I cut the center out, leaving the tops and bottoms of the letters so everything is guaranteed to be exactly where it should be.

Tape and silicone or Lexel (Lowe's) or Dap Ultra Clear (Home Depot) are your best bet.

Stallion Signs

Almost all of the time, we generate our own patterns. We use the entire letter. That way, it's perfectly straight, up & down. I think pinning them is the best way. You didn't mention their thickness, size or if these are interior or exterior.

Hi, curious what you mean by "pinning" them? Not sure if I understood that correctly.
This is an interior application, about 18" tallest letter and 1/4" acrylic

Stallion Signs

Stencil-cut patterns from coroplast, cardboard, etc. are the easiest for installing tape-mounted letters. You typically need to request them if you're having the letters manufactured by others, otherwise you'll probably receive an outline pattern drawn on a paper pattern. If I get those, I cut the center out, leaving the tops and bottoms of the letters so everything is guaranteed to be exactly where it should be.

Tape and silicone or Lexel (Lowe's) or Dap Ultra Clear (Home Depot) are your best bet.

Thank you for this! I've been thinking of just cutting out the centers of the letters but wasn't sure if it was worth the effort. I think Ill try it on this next job!

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Thank you for this! I've been thinking of just cutting out the centers of the letters but wasn't sure if it was worth the effort. I think Ill try it on this next job!

I think it is. It can be done using just the bottom of the pattern, but using top and bottom guarantees accuracy.

I tape the entire pattern up, then take a sharp pair of scissors and cut along the top and bottom, leaving just the very tops and bottoms of the letters. If you leave too much, the pattern tends to wind up under the tape, the you have to deal with that.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Hi, curious what you mean by "pinning" them? Not sure if I understood that correctly.
This is an interior application, about 18" tallest letter and 1/4" acrylic

He's talking about stud-mounting. It's sometimes a better way to go....especially on drywall that has been painted. The formulation of most paints purposely make it difficult for items to adhere to them. You should be fine with tape, but studs are more of a sure deal.