• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installing into Stucco...HELP!

MastroSigns

Ok, guys, I got a 2'x6' Single sided Dibond sign to install over a business entrance on Friday. The front where the sign is going to stucco. I have been in the sign industry as a designer/sign maker for 9 years, but never really did any installs. Now that I started my own company I have to install this. Any suggestions, tips, tricks as to what will do the job and prevent the sign from falling off?

Thanks in advance!

HulkSmash

drill pilot holes..until you hit what is behind the stucco, make sure you have a tapcon that is long enough to go through the stucco and the other facade behind it.

tsgstl

Be careful. A lot of times it is like chicken wire behind the stucco with nothing to grab on to. We have used adhesive along with anchors. But I would inform the customer of whatever you are doing. Our local theatre chain uses this everywhere and when you drill in it is hollow and pull your drill out with what appears to be yellow insulation type stuff tangled around the bit.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
I talked to their maintenance crew and they said it was stucco not drivit.

the only real advice is wait until you drill the hole to figure out what will work.

no matter what they tell you it is, it usually isn't....

drill the hole and find out where you stand.....

HulkSmash

the only real advice is wait until you drill the hole to figure out what will work.

this times 100.

i always survey the wall if it's stucco, before installing.

sometimes there's nothing behind it, sometimes wood...metal...you name it...

Pat Whatley

Exactly. Do not go the adhesive route. If there's nothing supporting it that you can drill into now if they ever go to pull the sign down they're going to be replacing a big chunk of missing stucco.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
usually when i do the survey i take my drill and drill a hole either in a inconspicuous place or directly in the middle of where the sign is going. this way the sign will cover the hole for sure...

tsgstl

@tsgstl what type of adhesive do you suggest?

Unfortunately my local supplier just got bought out by Grimco and I am realizing everyday that I relied on their customer service more than I should have. I am pretty positive that it was some form of LORD Adhesive. They carried a lot of their products and I used them for more than one application. I can't find in any of my other supply companies catalogs much else than Gorilla Glue. Here is a link to their website. I am sure they would have something that would work.

http://www.lord.com/products-and-solutions/adhesives.xml

But it could be a pain to get back off or damage the wall, so please discuss whatever you do with the customer.

Baz

Anchors into what??? Stucco is just the finished top coat. It's all about what's behind it. If you are lucky you will be hitting plywood and can screw directly into that. If you are not lucky .. well .... i once ended up using something like 8" or 9" tapcon screws to hit the concrete wall way behind the foam exterior that was finished with .... stucco.

HulkSmash

Unfortunately my local supplier just got bought out by Grimco and I am realizing everyday that I relied on their customer service more than I should have. I am pretty positive that it was some form of LORD Adhesive. They carried a lot of their products and I used them for more than one application. I can't find in any of my other supply companies catalogs much else than Gorilla Glue. Here is a link to their website. I am sure they would have something that would work.

http://www.lord.com/products-and-solutions/adhesives.xml

But it could be a pain to get back off or damage the wall, so please discuss whatever you do with the customer.

For the love of god, do not take the above advice (no pun)

DO. NOT. glue your sign the stucco...

tsgstl

For the love of god, do not take the above advice (no pun)

DO. NOT. glue your sign the stucco...

My first post

Be careful. A lot of times it is like chicken wire behind the stucco with nothing to grab on to. We have used adhesive along with anchors. But I would inform the customer of whatever you are doing. Our local theatre chain uses this everywhere and when you drill in it is hollow and pull your drill out with what appears to be yellow insulation type stuff tangled around the bit.

I don't know if his installation is similar to mine. I am telling you what I had to do. I didn't feel comfortable with anchors alone in my installation.

FS-Keith

For a 2x6 I would also use conical anchors and screws with some dabs of silicone on the back of the panel. That is if There is no wood to hit. You could also epoxy on some pads to the back of the panel and stud mount with a pattern