• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installing large banners

juan45215

We will be installing a 17'x8.5' banner below a marquee sign. The vertical supports are I-beams so we cannot drill through them. We are considering using C-clamps, but I'm not confident that they can withstand the wind load. My other thought was to use bungie cords and use the C-clamp to keep them form sliding down. Does anyone have a suggestion.

Thanks

anthonyd969

Premium Subscriber
I would go with the ratchet straps also or maybe just around the posts. Then possibly bungee off them if needed. Wind Slits also.. Good Luck

Gino

Premium Subscriber
  • How far apart are the posts.... exactly ??
  • Is it 1 or 2 sided ??
  • What weight are you intending to use ??
  • Digital print or die-cut lettering ??
  • How are you finishing off the hems and corners ??

juan45215

Banner specs

Plan on using 18oz material.
The post are 16' a part
2 sided but we're using 2 banners
Gussets in the corners
Digital print

• How far apart are the posts.... exactly ??
  • Is it 1 or 2 sided ??
  • What weight are you intending to use ??
  • Digital print or die-cut lettering ??
  • How are you finishing off the hems and corners ??

BobCap

Beams?

Use beam clamps on the beams and attach the banner to them.

Do a google search for "Beam Clamp"

We use them for all types of rigging.

Bob Cap
AAI
Gilbert, MN

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Plan on using 18oz material.
The post are 16' a part
2 sided but we're using 2 banners
Gussets in the corners
Digital print

Okay, one more........ is this banner 17' up and down... or sideways ??

In other words, how do you figure to fit a 17' sign between a 16' opening unless it's gonna hang down 17' ?? Therefore, you'll have one heck of an ordeal.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Run two metal stranded cables at 10' apart. Make sure they are very taut. Use spring clips in the hem of the banner. Make sure the banner hem is double, if not triple stitched, with heavy gussets in the corners. Slip the spring clips over the top cable and the bottom cable. Tie off each corner to make sure the banner doesn't travel back and forth at all.

This banner is over 120 square feet and that's a lota sail, so it better be anchored and secured mighty good or you'll have problems.