• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installing Large Sign Faces

Happyprinter

Hoping someone can give me an idea on a easier way to install large sign faces. We usually do not do anything over 4' tall unless it is flex face. Lately we have been getting a lot of call to do 6'x16' and 8'x12 lexan faces. Trying to put them on our hanger arms and controlling them on the ride up is a nightmare. Thought about building some sort of a clamp bar for the top of the sign maybe using a 2x4 and some c clamps and picking them with our crane. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have nightmares of turning into a glider when a big gust of wind hits me.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Yes to the C clamps and 2x4. Also helpful is a couple of hangers off the front of the basket made out of 2x4's. Build 'hooks' at the bottom that the face can rest in.

Happyprinter

Thanks Moze. We are going to design some sort of a clamp system and see if it works. I hate to reinvent the wheel, so it never hurts to ask on the forum to see if someone had built a better mouse trap.

Craig Sjoquist

Before & still have Visegrips with angle iron welded to them & rubber glued to angle iron clamped 2 on large signs & a 3rd just incase hooked to whatever I was pulling them up with, larger ones add a bar above like large cranes do for wide & heavy lifts, ( note the prefab concrete walls That the cranes lift )

Billct2

When I worked at a shop that did many large faces they bought a pair of glass workers suction handles