• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installing sign/frame to window mullions? Is it possible?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
We've got a customer looking to install a 4' x 8' snap frame that will go across a corner of a skywalk in a fairly high traffic setting. They don't want a base/floor stand of any sort. (see picture/mockup)

Found a 4' x 8' snap frame, no problem.

Where the problem is, however, is that they don't want to drill into the mullions to install. My idea was to buy/fabricate some kind of clamping system that I could fasten the snap frame to. Am I crazy? I can't find anything even remotely close and I'm at a dead end. I do have access to some great fabricators/welders but I don't even know how to design something like this from scratch. Customer is getting impatient and has now said they MIGHT be okay with drilling into the mullions.

Mullions are 2.5" wide by approx 6" deep. Frame weight is approximately 35 lbs.

I guess what I'm wondering is if anyone has ever come across this - either with or without drilling into mullions to support a sign frame?

I don't like coming here and begging for help...........but here I am with my tail between my legs.

Sincerely, lost and confused.

Attachments

• 4x8 snap frame.jpg
    4x8 snap frame.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 549

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, how far up is the ceiling ?? Can you suspend anything from above ?? If so, you could take the brunt of the weight and hang it from above and just use the mullions for stabilizers. Super thin fish line would work or piano grade cables. Hardly see them, if at all.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
So, how far up is the ceiling ?? Can you suspend anything from above ?? If so, you could take the brunt of the weight and hang it from above and just use the mullions for stabilizers. Super thin fish line would work or piano grade cables. Hardly see them, if at all.

Actual ceiling is probably 2-3 stories up. (no full view pictures from my site check of course)

There are beams running above (pics attached), but then I could still only support from the ends. I suppose that would still take most of the load like you said....

Do you think drilling into the mullions/frames is a no-no? I'm kind of anticipating this voiding the window warranty or something like that.

Attachments

• Untitled-4.jpg
    Untitled-4.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 361
  • Untitled-5.jpg
    Untitled-5.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 331

Moze

Precision Sign Services
My thoughts....

Fab some U-channel brackets that slide over the mullions. Through-drill and tap the legs to allow for two 1/4 - 20 bolts on each side. Make the inside web about 1/4" wider than the mullions to allow for 1/16" rubber pads and .060" aluminum shims on each side (pads against the mullions, bolts against the shims). Use the bolts as clamps. On the outer web, fab angled braces to attach to the frames.

Simple, doesn't damage the mullions, easy install.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
My idea was to buy/fabricate some kind of clamping system that I could fasten the snap frame to.
Google "manfrotto super clamp." Retailers sometimes use them but hide the clamp itself behind a small attached, painted guard to keep prying hands away. The adjustment handle is removable. You might need to jenga 8 of them in total and also fab some angled stud pieces.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
My thoughts....

Fab some U-channel brackets that slide over the mullions. Through-drill and tap the legs to allow for two 1/4 - 20 bolts on each side. Make the inside web about 1/4" wider than the mullions to allow for 1/16" rubber pads and .060" aluminum shims on each side (pads against the mullions, bolts against the shims). Use the bolts as clamps. On the outer web, fab angled braces to attach to the frames.

Simple, doesn't damage the mullions, easy install.

Thank you Moze, I really like this idea. I'll propose this to the customer and see if they're game to go this route.

Thanks for all the great suggestions, I wish I would've asked you guys sooner!

I'll keep y'all posted with the progress.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
2.5 inch you say? Pads? Angled @ 45?

Not a slam-dunk, but here is the Made in U.S.A. version I prefer to the Manfrotto...

Attachments

• IMG_6489z.jpg
    IMG_6489z.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 325