• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

installing used printheads rockhopper2

digimob

Hi,
I am new to this site and I am hoping to be pointed in the right direction, I have 2 machines, a rockhopper 2, eco solvent and a grand sherpa running pigment, I am trying to replace two printheads on the agfa, the heads were printing perfectly on the rockhopper 2 , I have cleaned and installed the first, pump working and caps ok, but no print, nothing from this head, tried the other again nothing, cant really be the heads can it, is there a fuse for these printheads?

please help if you can

cheers

FrankW

There are fuses on the mainboard for the heads, at this machines they are soldered. At the attached picture you could see a Mutoh fuse of this kind, but because its one for a rockhopper II it could be that the ones for the RH I differs. They are around 2-3mm long. You should check the surrounding of the connectors for the printer cables.

But be careful, regularly when the fuses are blown there are a reason for it. If manipulating with the printers electronic (with print head cables too), don't only switch it off ... pull out the power plug and switch it on and off again with no power connected to be save. When re-assemble check that you connect the cables correctly.

It is not recommended to mix components from water based and solvent based printers. If your Rockhopper I is equipped with Eco-Solvent-Inks, be shure to avoid using parts for water based printers. And, do not use used, with solvent ink contaminated components on a water based printer.

Attachments

• vorderseite_sicherung.jpg
    vorderseite_sicherung.jpg
    567 KB · Views: 79

digimob

I have cleaned the heads and changed the adaptors these heads are the same for rockhopper 2 and agfa, one thing I forgot to mention was after installing the first head I got an error code E075 but after reboot the error disappeared

FrankW

if you have used a head for solvent you can't clean it good enough for not being in danger to run into trouble. When Mutoh introduces the Rockhopper I it was offered for running with water and solvent inks, conversion was allowed from water to solvent, but not the other way round.

By the way: sometimes the parts are looking identically, but some are solvent resistant, others not.

digimob

Thanks for the interest Frank
but the machines are rockhopper 2, both take epson DX4s, adaptors are either solvent or water compatable, maybe you can tell me can I attach the cables from the other head that is printing to test the fuse issue?

FrankW

You can try to do that. If you need to reach the head driver board or mainboard be shure to use an electric screwdriver, because there are a lot of screws to remove ;) .

If using a head with solvent ink and remount it in a water based unit, it could happen that the heads will be clogged because of an intolerance of the water ink with some solvent ink left in the printhead. Thats why mutoh have suggested to not convert eco-solvent-machines back to water-based.

digimob

Cheers Frank,
I will try that tomorrow, I have flushed the heads with butyl carbitol, both are completely clear

FrankW

Be careful with the cables too. It's easy to damage them or plug them in incorrectly. As far as I remember Mutoh suggest to replace them as soon as they are plugged in and out 5 times.