• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

installing vinyl directly on ribbed metal siding

signguy35

So I have a customer that wants me to install his name directly on ribbed metal siding. I have been putting it off forever due to not wanting to do it. I told him it would be easier to mount it on a board then install said board. He said no. I finally gave in and said I would do it. What are the tricks for doing it. I am not worried about horizontal shrinkage. Just looking for pointers for something that is might be over looked but would make the job easier. Thanks.

Billct2

It would help to see a design. I would work from bottom to top, going into and over the ribs. Oh, and hopefully the finish is in good shape because otherwise cleaning it will leave a halo.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
I'm assuming the ribs are going vertically...so obviously you would go side to side...feeding into each groove just going over the peaks and valleys.
Depending on the height of the text, you may be able to you a large squeegee.

0igo

I just did one the other day. I used a snippy cutter to make a horizontal cut on the backing paper of the material then you work your way side to side instead of up and down. Is this going to be decals or full on print?

LolaRed

I've worked on a few corrugated metal buildings. In the end, painting it has a much better life. Here is a photo of work we did on horizontal grooves with the artwork cutout in between each groove. It took forever to install, but with a graphic large scale enough it has a really cool effect. We used high performance cast black 3M vinyl to get the most life out of it. The building is in full sun most of the day with drastic temperature changes throughout the year (10 degrees in the winter and up to 115 in the summer). It's been in place about 4 years now and still looks really good.

Attachments

• feild-recordings-vinyl.jpg
    feild-recordings-vinyl.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 446