• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installing vinyl without application tape

aerial

QCB
I agreed to install some "window stickers" for a printer that is just getting into large format. I assumed (my bad) that is was window perf. When i picked it up, turns out they did it on 3m air release vinyl with an overlaminate. No application tape. They are not huge, 42" x 31". Never did an installation on glass with solid vinyl, or without tape.
Should I give it back and say no thanks?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We do it like that quite often. It's basically like putting a wrap on a vehicle, but easier. You shouldn't have any trouble, especially at that size.

Chasez

I agree with Gino... That's almost as easy as they come. Youtube some videos if your stuck or need some pointers. Peel top, align, squeege on while peeling backer, trim edges, done.

Chaz

signgal605

The overlaminate will give it enough body to install without premask. Center hinge or top hinge & squeegee away.

BobM

I agreed to install some "window stickers" for a printer that is just getting into large format. I assumed (my bad) that is was window perf. When i picked it up, turns out they did it on 3m air release vinyl with an overlaminate. No application tape. They are not huge, 42" x 31". Never did an installation on glass with solid vinyl, or without tape.
Should I give it back and say no thanks?
WHY ARE YOU USING MY LOGO/AVATAR?????????

BobM

Your Avatar! Is it in the public domain. We just discussed this in class the other day.
I must have missed that class. I designed the logo, paid to have it drawn up and have been using it for years. Perhaps I should copy and past your avatar and become you? Next week I could change it and become OLD PAINT or GINO? I don't know the rules but it seems strange that in this community one would be able to paste and copy another's logo. Common courtesy would suggest one shouldn't do that.

Johnny Best

Looks like you have a fan of your work.
You can copy and paste my avatar if you want, will just make another one, do it all the time.
I have not seen OldPaint lately, hope he is OK. And becoming Gino, that might be a stretch.

Johnny Best

This is an example to people who copy, steal artwork. They see it on the internet and think it is OK to copy it as their own. Not everyone thinks it is alright, especially when it happened to BobM.
aeriel, the OP should be called out on this. Hopefully BobM will PM aeriel and tell them how he feels.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Looks like a John Deaton conjuring. I'll betcha thats where the OP got it. Some years ago, I found someone who was selling John's work as their own. Contacted him and he took care of it right away. If you did indeed pay John to do this, I'd get in touch with the thief and have him take it down, immediately.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
Top hinge
Pull backer off a few inches
Apply that area
Continue with the rest

I'd recommend some sort of low-friction squeegee. I love a squeegee with 3M PTFE tape applied to the edges. Your squeegee just slides over the print.

aerial

QCB
YIKES! Bob, I have had that clip art on my computer for some time. I don't even remember where it came from. Just pulled it off bing or somewhere! My sincere apologies! I appreciate you all so much for sharing your knowlege, and would not dream of offending. And thank you all for your replies.