• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Interesting issue! Roland VP-540 Printhead

smurfiside

lamination will test your patience
Hi all ! Having interesting issue with one of my DX4 Cyan head. Seems like its spitting out ink. Currently did head soak for 1-2 hours for both K and C heads but the Cyan head seems crazy! is it an issue with the head only or printhead board or cables ?

first time having this issue unexpectedly! tried restarting the printer, normal cleanings cyan head flush but still same!

dont worry about the rest. heres a test print for the C
Thanks for the replies! have a great day!

euronymous

Pretty sure your printhead cables for the cyan head are bad. Try pulling them out (with the printer OFF and UNPLUGGED), check to make sure the leads aren't bent, no ink on them. Reseat the cables, if you're lucky they were just in crooked or one of the leads was a little bent and you can maybe convince it to bend back into form. Otherwise buy new cables, your black head looks rough too, maybe just needs a new captop though?

smurfiside

captops are sucking well. tested by by vacuuming the heads with no leakage.. alright ill check the cables! any precaution when removing the cables ?

ProPDF

Head fuse on main board needs replaced. If it blows again replace cable. If you dropped ink on the ribbon and it rolled down to pins replace fuse and cable at same time but make sure the ink is not wet on the print head connector. If it still shows signs of this then your head is probably toast.

euronymous

captops are sucking well. tested by by vacuuming the heads with no leakage.. alright ill check the cables! any precaution when removing the cables ?
Just make sure both the sub and main power are OFF and the machine is UNPLUGGED for a few minutes to let any residual juice drain out before you touch anything. Maybe mark the cables to make sure you put them back in the correct spots.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
There are two possibilities when there is an electrical short in the head circuit. The fuse blows which makes the print head stop printing at all. Or in your case, it makes the head signal turn on 100% and you get the streaking you see. Most likely it is the head cable that is bad and a lot of the time it is ink splatter. Make sure when you change the cable to check the terminal it plugs into to see if there is ink splatter in there and clean with alcohol. I also air dust the terminal to be safe. There are rare occasions where the issue is actually a damaged head or main board but it's almost always the head cables. Your fuse isn't blown yet but if this keeps up it may cause the fuse to blow soon.

smurfiside

Since the Cyan and Black heads are sharing the same fuse F2 . If its blown shouldn't the black wont be firing too ? but in my case the Black is firing. Or is it the transistor TR6 TR1 that is driving the Cyan Heads ? ?

smurfiside

another question. can i just unplug the cyan cables and print something. quite urgent to print out something that dont need cyan. will it ruin anything ? parts will be delivered in 2 days time. cables dampers captops and so on.. im thinking of ordering a new head but need to find the root cause first.

Just now i cant switch on the printer.. unpluuged the printer, pressed the power button. tapped the cyan prinhead cables abit, and the printer can on again. and now the cyan printhead is NOT firing at all.

Hey smurfiside,

Based on the history, it's our recommendation to contact your authorized Roland dealer to have the printer repaired. This has evolved to an electrical failure (possibly fuses) and to get OEM parts (and service), you should call your dealer.

If you have additional questions or need extra support directly from Roland corporate support, please submit an "official" support request form online here: Product Support Form | Roland

If you do write us, we look forward to helping you and take care,

Roland Technical Support
Roland DGA Corp.
rn

smurfiside

1) Replaced head cables
2) Replaced Dampers
3) Replaced cap tops
2) F1,F2,F3 Fuses all okay
3) Swapped the CYAN cables and BLACK cables

seems like there are no issues with motherboard, fuses or anything else as when i swapped the K and C cables. K is still printing (while on a C channel output). not a single drop of C ( while on a K channel output) .

SO conclusion is it a new printhead ? or did i missed anything out before ordering a new printhead

smurfiside

There are two possibilities when there is an electrical short in the head circuit. The fuse blows which makes the print head stop printing at all. Or in your case, it makes the head signal turn on 100% and you get the streaking you see. Most likely it is the head cable that is bad and a lot of the time it is ink splatter. Make sure when you change the cable to check the terminal it plugs into to see if there is ink splatter in there and clean with alcohol. I also air dust the terminal to be safe. There are rare occasions where the issue is actually a damaged head or main board but it's almost always the head cables. Your fuse isn't blown yet but if this keeps up it may cause the fuse to blow soon.
1) Replaced head cables
2) Replaced Dampers
3) Replaced cap tops
2) F1,F2,F3 Fuses all okay
3) Swapped the CYAN cables and BLACK cables

seems like there are no issues with motherboard, fuses or anything else as when i swapped the K and C cables. K is still printing (while on a C channel output). not a single drop of C ( while on a K channel output) .

SO conclusion is it a new printhead ? or did i missed anything out before ordering a new printhead

davyde

Electrical issue. Ink leak in the head connectors, if you check and no ink leak then its a head board issue. Have seen this on a ricoh printer and had to change a head, head board, cables and main board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ams

Sometimes this happens to me when I do a manual cleaning, it'll drop little bits of ink here and there. Usually clears up after one print or I can take a dry swab and clean around the printhead.