• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Interior Hanging Signs First Timer

gancan

Hey guys and gals,

I'm new to the sign industry and gotta say that I commend you guys, it's a lot of dedication to tedious detailed work which I'am enjoying although not financially...yet.

Here is my newest project, it's a little big for me but I have a lot of local guys to work with as far as fabrication goes. However since I'm trying to learn I would like to tackle some of the challenges for this one myself.

Customer is requesting hanging dimensional letters, easy I thought until he said that he wanted them without a mount. Just kind of free hanging to look clean and "floating" above different areas of the office. They are long words like "life & health"with spaces in-between. Font is simple such as Arial. I was thinking of running some sort of thin rod between all of the letters to keep them together. Materials that I had in mind for the letters was PVC, although I'm open to recommendations.

1. which material is suitable to use that will not sway with the a/c and have a clean painted look (letters will be cnc routed by local shop)
2. how to secure the letters to one another and to the ceiling panels or grids (installed by myself)
3. recommended finish and paint method (done by myself preferrably)

I know you're all busy, but if you get a chance I would appreciate some good advice on this one.

Best Regards,
A new Sign Guy!

Moze

Precision Sign Services
If the install locations aren't in a pedestrian area, you could run thin aircraft cable from the ceiling to the floor. Most companies that sell standoffs have systems for that. But if they only want it suspended with no other anchor points and it's in the direct path of H/AC vents, they're basically asking you to fabricate a swingset and expecting it not to swing.

As far as tying the letters together, I would mount them on a clear Lexan "cloud" background that is cut the same shape as the letters, leaving "bridges" between each letter.

gancan

Thanks for the reply Moze. I like the clear lexan idea, I'm gonna present that to the client. As far as the aircraft cable to the floor that sounds like it would make it sturdy, however the signs will be directly above work stations so that may not work. Do you think that any type of hanging sign will be subject to swinging, is there any other way around this. What material do you suggest using. Can I prevent it by maybe getting cast letters from Gemini instead?

I was hoping to get this presented to my client before the end of the week with a few options, I feel like I'm barely half way there on one option. Thanks again.

BobM

Outwater Plastics (wwwoutwater.com) has a very complete inventory of mounting products. I'm sure you can find lots of ways to hang your letters.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Thanks for the reply Moze. I like the clear lexan idea, I'm gonna present that to the client. As far as the aircraft cable to the floor that sounds like it would make it sturdy, however the signs will be directly above work stations so that may not work. Do you think that any type of hanging sign will be subject to swinging, is there any other way around this. What material do you suggest using. Can I prevent it by maybe getting cast letters from Gemini instead?

I was hoping to get this presented to my client before the end of the week with a few options, I feel like I'm barely half way there on one option. Thanks again.

Given what you said in your first post (wanting it to appear as if it's floating), your options are very limited. "Floating" eliminates the ability to use any rigid mounting structure, unless you use a clear acrylic rod.

So if it were me, I would explain that the "floating" look is really limiting what you can do and I would present the clear cloud background with clear acrylic supports as THE option. See where that takes you, see what they like and don't like, go from there.

Edit...

Actually a better option might be to brake-form a 2" lip on a sheet of polycarbonate (picture an upside down L). Use the 2" lip to serve as your installation point and the remainder can serve as the background for your letters to be mounted on.