• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Interviewing and testing

sleepyeyed

My sign shop will be interviewing potential candidates and I was curious as to what kind of things you'd have people do in order to show their proficiency in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator software. So far I have come up with simple things like changing the size of a sign, its color, changing text, and making text on a curved path. Is there anything else you could think of that would be a good indicator that the person is at least somewhat proficient in these programs as it relates to sign making?

DerbyCitySignGuy

My sign shop will be interviewing potential candidates and I was curious as to what kind of things you'd have people do in order to show their proficiency in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator software. So far I have come up with simple things like changing the size of a sign, its color, changing text, and making text on a curved path. Is there anything else you could think of that would be a good indicator that the person is at least somewhat proficient in these programs as it relates to sign making?

Kind of a vague question. What position? What are they going to be expected to do?

A designer and a prepress person are going to be doing vastly different things.

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
grab an advertisement image (or hell, a business card) online somewhere and have them recreate it exactly.

then, ask them to do it how THEY would do it, to see if they have any creativity. You might get a guy who is proficient, straight outta full sail, who knows the programs but doesn't have "the eye".

sleepyeyed

Kind of a vague question. What position? What are they going to be expected to do?

A designer and a prepress person are going to be doing vastly different things.

It's a designer position that will include vinyl application, weeding, and taping. They'll need to create new layouts for signs that will be cut on a plotter or printed/contour cut on vinyl depending on what will be needed at the time.

DerbyCitySignGuy

It's a designer position that will include vinyl application, weeding, and taping. They'll need to create new layouts for signs that will be cut on a plotter or printed/contour cut on vinyl depending on what will be needed at the time.

They'll probably need to be able to create custom spot colors as well for cut lines.

I think JTBoh has the right idea. Ask them to recreate something simple that shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Since we don't really offer any in-house design, this isn't a direct answer to your question, but here are a couple things we look for in a candidate.
  • I ask in person or on the phone what 7/8ths + a quarter is. Many can't answer this question, but their response to it tells me alot. Do they ask to look it up? Do they just say "I have no idea" and wait for the next question. Do they dwell on it and stay flustered for a while? Do they write it down and ask to get back to me? If they just know the answer, that's good too.
  • I always wait until the end of the interview to ask for something like references or links to a portfolio and ask for them to be emailed to me. This answers 2 questions:
    1. Can you follow basic directions and use email (or will you drop off a printed copy or try to call me with them and ask me take a list and give me a chor to do?)
    2. And most importantly - Are you really interested in the job? If you aren't, but just wanted to have a nice interview, you might not bother following up with me. Leave the ball in their court and see if they throw it back. If they don't, they probably didn't really want the job and that's good to know early.

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
I would make sure they understanding scaling. We hired a college graduate who had a decent eye for design but didn't even understand the concept of scaling. We asked her to design a 30'x5' banner and she got it all done and it was at 227" x 60" since illustrator wouldn't let her design it any bigger. Bang head on table. Years in college and she hadn't been taught the concept of scaling. Also, ask them to design something simple, like a for sale sign. Sometimes you can tell how good they are with text spacing and using the area right on something as simple as a for sale sign or parking sign.

equippaint

Past experience, how did you end up there, what did you do and why did you leave. People talk to much so the why did you leave will usually draw out multiple things like work ethic, knowledge, ability to work with others etc.
Ask them what was the hardest part of designing at their last job. Tell me your most and least favorite project that you have worked on. You should be able to tell if someone knows what they are doing without putting them through some elementary skills test.
Another thing is the resume theme and style says a lot. Even more so if you are expecting them to layout a sign. I've received some pretty sloppy resumes and they get filed in the round bin. If you can't spend the time on yourself, I don't see you being able or willing to be detail oriented at work.

rjssigns

Ask if they have a portfolio. If they don't and call themselves a designer that would be a red flag.

Honestly if you can find someone that will show up on time, work their full shift, stay off their phone and not miss work they are trainable.

TimToad

Once we establish that the person is even qualified enough to bring in for prehire testing via at least two in person interviews and reference checks, we pay them $25 per hour cash for a four hour shift and supply them with what we think is about two hours worth of real world design work of actual jobs that would require use of multiple programs they would be expected to be fluent in.

Its sad to say that few are as fluent in any programs as they profess on their resume and even fewer are able to do two hours worth of design work in four hours. We don't hawk over them, don't give them any overly complex projects and just leave them to figure it out. I've noticed that the current training protocols that encourage the overeliance on creating layers for every single element and overuse of clipping masks is troubling from a time management and efficiency perspective.

We actually had one applicant use 17 layers, 17 artboards and clipping masks for 17 simple two color, 2"x3" rectangular, print/cut decals with just one or two words and no graphics on each.

That being said, we have a top rated state university 20 minutes away that churns out graphic design/communications majors by the dozens each year. It also has its own print/large format shop where one would expect anyone seeking a degree in that discipline would be required to spend some time learning some production skills and work ethic.

2B

all of the above,

also ask them to list the SAFE, CUT & BLEED lines for paper printing
ensure they know what a mirror image is

the biggest point we found is converting a full color PRINT design to a layered or 1 color PLOTTER design

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
My dad was in construction, when he was going to hire someone, he handed them a shovel, and if they could use one, then a broom... you would be surprised how many people have issues with the shovel part of the test... if they did, they never made it to the broom.

Interesting to see everyone's shovel test. Being on the side where I was getting interviewed, I have had all these things thrown at me. How the prospective employer went about it was key to if I wanted to work there... I wasn't the only one getting interviewed.. a lot of sign shops are not all that great to work for.

If it were me, test them on what you mostly do... if you don't do business card, don't give them one to replicate, if it's monkey/production work, do they really need to be that creative?

They should know scale... or have the ability to learn it, but have the tools to make it easier...

If I have to deal with 7/32" I might have to ask for more money...

jeffdpia

Digital Print Orchestrator
Just ask them to use the shovel tool in Photoshop
upload_2018-4-23_15-30-50.png

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Since we don't really offer any in-house design, this isn't a direct answer to your question, but here are a couple things we look for in a candidate.
  • I ask in person or on the phone what 7/8ths + a quarter is. Many can't answer this question, but their response to it tells me alot. Do they ask to look it up? Do they just say "I have no idea" and wait for the next question. Do they dwell on it and stay flustered for a while? Do they write it down and ask to get back to me? If they just know the answer, that's good too.
What if they answer 28.575?

My primary question is can they use a time clock.
Do you know what time it is when the clock reads 8:20 and you are not punched in?
'Time to look for a new job'

wayne k
guam usa

decalman

I am quick to hire a person that has nice teeth. Nice teeth are nice to look at. They have nothing to do with character. Here's a picture of a person who is not hireable.
th.jpeg

I also ask if they have lice.

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
Ask 'em if have a screen name on signs101 and see if they're one of the people on here that are complete idiots(but love to give advice).

Not you Gino.