• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Inventory Control

So it's coming to the time where we need to start taking an inventory count. we do not have a real system for counting everything other than a spreadsheet saying half roll , 1/4 roll, (3)full rolls type thing. is there a more sophisticated/ accurate way of keep track or maybe a live view option that exists out there?
We just want to streamline the process and have order reminders when getting low on certain types of vinyl.

any input helps, thanks :D

RICHARD SIMMONS

Well, I have used some types of vinyl, that have printed on the back, the remaining meters in the roll. That will be a good start !!

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
It sounds like you want to know the dollar value of a partial roll of vinyl, right?
RICHARD SIMMONS approach works if the remaining meters is printed on the backing paper. If it is not printed, then here is an idea.
Several Signs101 members use the weight method. (Lindsey for example.) Weigh a full roll. Weigh the core. Then weigh your partial roll and subtract the weight of the core. Calculate the price/feet per pound times the weight and you have your inventory value.

RICHARD SIMMONS

It sounds like you want to know the dollar value of a partial roll of vinyl, right?
RICHARD SIMMONS approach works if the remaining meters is printed on the backing paper. If it is not printed, then here is an idea.
Several Signs101 members use the weight method. (Lindsey for example.) Weigh a full roll. Weigh the core. Then weigh your partial roll and subtract the weight of the core. Calculate the price/feet per pound times the weight and you have your inventory value.
Sounds good for me !!

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
If you are trying to figure out how much media is left on a roll, there is a thread that covers this pretty well: https://signs101.com/threads/the-dreaded-stock-take.161295/#post-1498633

My system: we write down in the corner of the media how much is left - then we can see at a glance how much is left.
For when we don't know what's left on a roll, I have a system. I explained this in the afore mentioned thread, but I'll copy and paste it here too. FWIW - I've tried the calculators mentioned, but they came out with odd results. I trust my method - I've been using it for years...

1. With the digital caliper, set it to mm. Measure the Thickness of the material left on the roll - minus the core. (call this number A)
2. measure the thickness of the material - just one layer this time. (Call this number B)
Divide: A/B = C
Now take C and multiply by 11 (the usual diameter of the core). Divide that by 12 = equals how many feet are left on that roll. I always subtract 3 (ft) from that for a little cushion.

Edit: to add... this works especially well with laminate - our laminator does not keep track of how much we've used ie no number to write down. So when I have a "scrap" roll, and it looks there might be enough to do the job - but not sure and don't want to trash the print - I can figure out if I will make it. Sometimes I'm just not in a gambling mood, so it's nice to have a way to be certain.

Last edited:

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
To actually “control” inventory one needs a sort of gatekeeper with surety to log in materials and log out materials using the appropriate unit of measure. In a small sign shop, that task is often a production manager’s because they know what’s in the pipeline. A simple formula is a quantity checked-in stock vs a quantity checked-out with a trigger condition of a quantity to prompt restock.

The trouble with spreadsheets is they are inefficient in handling and storing the many log records of so many different materials used in typical sign shops. A database is the better tool because data entry is quick and at the same time the software can relate to purchase orders, work orders, machine usage, operators, delivery tickets, etc.

Some of the current and mature RIP software providers offer solutions to measure and report machine usage especially of ink and roll media but they fall short overall because it’s only for machines and materials the RIP is tied to. Sign shops use many other machines and materials which could use inventory tracking. Many sign shop developed their own solutions many years ago to help with inventory and much more.

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
My wish would be for a mfg to print the length on the liner. I would pay extra for that. Especially on wrap film. I hate starting a print thinking i have enough only to find out i am 6 inches short.

My wife have the same problem in the bedroom. :confused:

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
For Roland users, at least for our XR-640, we can plug in the length left on a roll before a job, and print a tiny memo on the corner of it when we're all done, ready to set it for the next time. This only works if you remember to do it each time... but if you're consistent about it you'll have each roll of printed media labeled, at least.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Similar to what colorcrest said, we have floor stock of consumables to work from and new inventory is locked with only 2 people having access to it. It is also kept very organized. I check it once a week to reorder and our rep can also restock us if we send them a picture. I don't see how you could maintain an inventory on a spreadsheet without being super disciplined. As soon as you get busy the tracking goes out the window and that is the time that you need it the most. IMO, visual management is the way to go.

204SignGuy

Assistant to the Regional Manager
This is something we struggle with as well. Every idea I have for this gets shot down by our production team complaining that it will take too much time to make note of how much vinyl is used.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I'd just tell the printer when you start how much I have on the roll or if it's a new one and then when you take it out it tells you how much is left on the roll.
Just mark it to the corner of the material with a sharpie. Takes like extra 30 seconds the whole deal.
Of course it's a different thing to then keep an active inventory but at least you know how much you have.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
We just want to streamline the process and have order reminders when getting low on certain types of vinyl.
See the attached image of an example of simple inventory data points and the prompt "Stock is low – order more." The file is free from Claris FileMaker to use with their database authoring software. Most shops modify and extend this file for their own systems to make its use much more automated.

SImple_Inventory_Example.jpg