• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help iOS High Sierra and all kinds of problems!

CS1

Some time back, I updated to High Sierra and ever since then it's been kind of a nightmare. When I hit the space bar to preview EPS files, it shows me the image upside down. Why? No clue. I'm also unable to open any of my Photoshop files by double clicking, whereas I never had this problem before High Sierra. It wants to open my PSD files in Pixelamator which I don't even use (old trial), or, defaults to opening it in Preview even though I have told it numerous times before to open all PSD files with PSD everytime. Somehow it keeps defaulting back. It only seems to fix itself after I restart the computer and I only restart maybe once a week if that. Even when I right click the file to 'open with'...Photoshop is not even in the list to choose from! This means everytime I want to open a file in PSD, which is 200 times a day, I have to go to Photoshop and manually open the file by searching it on the desktop from the menu bar. What a pain. To make things more complicated if anyone can even understand this, I use Flexi on Windows on my Mac using the program VMware fusion. When I upgraded to windows 10 and High Sierra (at the same time), my Flexi Sign program will NOT make ANY strokes on any objects (boxes, circles, anything, etc) visible on the screen unless they're over, say, .050" thickness or more. It doesn't matter what color they are, they will not be seen on the monitor if the stroke is thinner than .050". They WILL, however, be visible on the screen if the thickness of a stroke on a box or anything is anything ABOVE .050, however, if it is a WIREFRAME and nothing on the stroke, it WILL be visible on the screen at .001" thickness or whatever, so don't ask me how that makes any sense at all. When I say the thin strokes are not "visible" what I mean is they ARE actually there, you just can't see them on the monitor.. No matter how far you zoom in either. It was never like this before I upgraded to High Sierra on the Mac and Windows 10 on VMware Fusion. I'm not sure which one screwed me or if it's a combination of the two. But this is very frustrating because my job requires me all day long to add borders of .001" thickness to every graphic I send to print, which is a lot per day. I use a template with boxes that have strokes on them and I had to change all the strokes on the boxes in my template to .050 so I could visibly see them but they're really only supposed to be .001" for our production team to print. So everytime I have to go to the template and copy the border to paste on my graphic in another window, I have to hit the D key on the keyboard to bring up the stroke options to select all the strokes at the same time, which is set at .050 SO I CAN SEE WHAT I'M DOING, then change the strokes to .001" thickness before I save the print file just so when production gets it, the stroke is the right thickness. Does anyone have a glimpse of hope why I may be having these weird problems??? I have tried changing my monitor resolution, etc. I don't think that is the problem. I think the problem is something with High sierra or Windows 10 because the problems never came up until I updated to them. And upside down EPS files in preview mode..that's just weird and High Sierra definitely did that cause it happened at the same time I updated...

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
With the latest OS X do you have the latest VMWare Fusion? Did you look to see if there were any issues with VMWare and High Sierra before updating, I see they are High Sierra ready... I have yet to go to High Sierra myself?

What version of Adobe are you using?

Personally, I am usually one OS behind (and Adobe) or wait a long time before updating. I also would never update without making sure all the bugs were worked out with my VMWare and the latest OSX before updating my Windows... I've been using VMWare since the first version, I also learned not to do mass updates on everything at once. Something always gets buggy.

WildWestDesigns

Typically, it takes things to filter on down. Even though people had access to High Sierra beta for awhile, functionality is still changed between beta and the final release. So developers can mess with beta all they want and issues can still arise when the final release is done. Even with the walled garden of the Mac ecosystem, this issue still exists.

Does Mac not give you an option to roll back an update? I know I can on Linux and on Windows (although I don't do updates since they are in isolated VMs with no WAN connection, no need for VMs to have that connection at all).

If you can't roll back on the Mac, going to have to trouble shoot it and see if you can tweak things to fix it. My suggestion after that would keep production rigs off the internet regardless if you can roll back or not.

CS1

I'm sure I can roll back. I will look into doing that as I feel that may solve all my problems. Ugh

dypinc

Did you do an upgrade to High Sierra or a clean install? If you did an upgrade I would do a clean install on another partition and see if you have these problems. I have one clean install of HS on a laptop and I don't see these problems.